Slippery chip lure

DerekD

1 minute ago, noelm said:

I think Bream only eat chips, not fries.......unless you "upsize"

This is my thinking also Noel and am only making 'chips' although a few will be 'crinkle cut' edged. Fries would be hard to make sturdy enough, heavy enough for un-weighted casting  and difficult to hide a hook in- which I reckon would be important

• Like 3

Just an update on what's going on for anyone following this-  I've made 2 different moulds out of silicone, however after 24 hrs the first one has finally decided to 'set' (usually takes about 2hrs from pouring to ready for use) but the second and larger 'industrial size' still hasn't set properly- hopefully it will be ready by tomorrow.

I can only guess that either the base product or catalyst (blue) have gone off slightly, therefore taking way too long to set. On the bright side, when making mould number two I did use way more catalyst to try and speed the process up, so am reasonably confident the moulds will be ready before the weekend is over. No use pouring any plastic until they are both ready as the first mould will only make about 4 chips, the second however should produce about 12 each time.

Hopefully the soft plastic is still ok as I haven't done any pours for over two years and have about 10 litres of it still, which can make 100's of lures/chips. I had no idea that the silicone could go 'off' either, however it is setting albeit slowly.

Will update when ready to go

• Like 4

You guys might be onto a new business venture! the “novelty lure company”

I’ll put my order in for:

the fettuccine: long piece of fettuccini with a great flowing pasta action

the spaghetti meatball: small meatball with trailing spaghetti strands 

Edited by Larkin
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Something made me think of you two @wazatherfisherman @DerekD:

Hot chip shortage on the horizon as cost of growing potatoes explodes - ABC News

Maybe chips as bait may be off the table and we will be begging you cap in hand for your lures! 🤣

Speaking of which, do you have an update?

Hi Mike yes! Mould number two refused to go off, so I ordered more silicone which according to tracking (Fastaway couriers) should arrive tomorrow. I have poured about 30 chips out of my two cavity mould (mould one) and have been mucking around with them tonight, with different configurations, including internal wire forms and a couple of different ideas.

Should be able to put a picture or two up tomorrow as I've made quite a few versions so far including 'batter' colour and golden, chunky and crinkled, plus a couple of surprises🤣

• Like 6

OK after much mucking around here's the first productions- First picture is of crinkled and chunky in golden and 'batter' colours, followed by 'tempura' and dark skins, followed by several rigging options including internal framed, frame-less and jointed- no jig head required, simply a hook😂 stay tuned for more chippy action shortly once the Bream Batterer's get a test run. No all yellow yet as I am waiting for the colour additive to be delivered- all lures poured using variations of gold colour

P1010105.JPG

P1010109.JPG

P1010114.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 11/10/2022 at 1:33 PM, wazatherfisherman said:

Would you believe I didn't have any frozen chips so I had to make some out of cardboard and immersed them in silicone- hopefully will be able to pour some today. Bream beware!

Hey wazza, put me down for one my friend 👏. No way I could encourage you to make a mould for a “mini-banana” lure 🙏.

On 11/9/2022 at 7:27 AM, DerekD said:

Hi All,

I came across this a while back and while I know it is an April fools day joke I genuinely want one. I think it is up there with the Cranka Crab and Mighty Mussels in terms of thinking outside the box. I also know several places this would work. Now need to come up with a scent for it - probably hit the fat fryer in the local fish and chip shop.

Your thoughts....

May be an image of food and text

I've already been talking to fellow Fishraider @wazatherfisherman about how to make some. Considering how well it should float. Colour, texture (soft or hard), thick chip or french fries dimensions, action (only kidding about this one), what length to give best hook up (do we want a size that a big fish can hit in one bite but a smaller bream would have to work to engulf). This should work well on those really big bream conditioned to eating chips thrown into the water.

Hope you all have a good day.

Derek

Hey Derek, brilliant idea - only thing I reckon would work as well would be a “mini- banana” 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

OK after much mucking around here's the first productions- First picture is of crinkled and chunky in golden and 'batter' colours, followed by 'tempura' and dark skins, followed by several rigging options including internal framed, frame-less and jointed- no jig head required, simply a hook😂 stay tuned for more chippy action shortly once the Bream Batterer's get a test run. No all yellow yet as I am waiting for the colour additive to be delivered- all lures poured using variations of gold colour

P1010105.JPG

P1010109.JPG

P1010114.JPG

Brilliant work Wazza, spectacularly realistic👏👏👏

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Hey wazza, put me down for one my friend 👏. No way I could encourage you to make a mould for a “mini-banana” lure 🙏.

Hey Derek, brilliant idea - only thing I reckon would work as well would be a “mini- banana” 

The mini-banana is a great idea @Pickles..................or you could go one step further and use whole monkeys!!!

5227.jpg

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Pickles said:

Hi Bob glad you like them! I can of course work on the mini banana for you! Am currently waiting for the yellow pigment to be delivered which of course will make a consistent colour instead of all the variations so far- might be a week or two to get the banana happening, but I'll let you know when I have some ripe and ready to go😁

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, DerekD said:

@wazatherfisherman

They look brilliant and this is only the test batch....

I'm in awe and am just sitting in front of my PC with a big smile on my face.

Thanks mate- this is really your brainchild! Have to work out de- scenting their usual plastic aroma, currently sitting in a saltwater solution I made.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squidless said:

not going to lie, I thought that was a real chip at first when I saw the blurry photo.

@Pickles would the mini banana be a surface lure?

Already have three different configurations worked out- 'Bent Banana', 'Slow Pitch' and 'Half Banana' which could be the surface popper version? Then there's always the 'half peeled' skirt type to consider, mmm leave it with me and watch this space in a week or two

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Sooo realistic. Its 6am and I feel like a bucket of chips already.

Great job Waza and some interesting rigging techniques.

Thanks Pete- I'll get some down to you shortly- I only used jewellery 'memory wire' for the wire forms and although stainless it wouldn't be genuinely rust resistant or very strong. The only genuine wire forms I have found were in the USA and postage from there is a killer. More research to do now! 

Love the full monkey, still laughing!

• Like 1