Slippery chip lure

DerekD

Hi All,

I came across this a while back and while I know it is an April fools day joke I genuinely want one. I think it is up there with the Cranka Crab and Mighty Mussels in terms of thinking outside the box. I also know several places this would work. Now need to come up with a scent for it - probably hit the fat fryer in the local fish and chip shop.

Your thoughts....

May be an image of food and text

I've already been talking to fellow Fishraider @wazatherfisherman about how to make some. Considering how well it should float. Colour, texture (soft or hard), thick chip or french fries dimensions, action (only kidding about this one), what length to give best hook up (do we want a size that a big fish can hit in one bite but a smaller bream would have to work to engulf). This should work well on those really big bream conditioned to eating chips thrown into the water.

Hope you all have a good day.

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5

Yep, that would definitely work. Particularly in the vicinity of marinas and fish markets that have cafes. As would a bread crust variant...that's another side project for you.

The 'realistic chip action' punchline had us rolling on the floor laughing in my office.

I'd like to see you and Waza make some and market them for $30 a pop. Only problem: if it was me, for that money, I'd buy several serves of REAL hot chips, catch some fish using them as bait and eat a few at while I'm fishing! 🤣

• Like 2

I would buy a stack of them because big wiley bream hanging around the pylons of a waterside eatery will smash them. Add some trans-fat scent and you couldn't miss.

I fished a bream tournament on the Clyde River many years ago and came across a situation like I've described. Big fish were smashing chips tossed in as soon as they hit the water, but refusing all lures crossing their path. 

I ended up cutting the tail off a white, 4 inch gulp minnow to resemble a chip as best I could and it worked, much to the disgust of some of the tourists might I add. The surface takes and wipeouts around the pylons were spectacular. Just as exciting as any hot bite in around the oyster racks.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

I'd buy several serves of REAL hot chips, catch some fish using them as bait and eat a few at while I'm fishing! 🤣

Problem is this would be against the rules in a lure bream fishing competition. The artificial chip would be allowed - probably a game changer though...

• Like 2

Already working on this- main concern is the gulls taking them (being their natural food). Flutter action? Fast sink/slow sink? French fry, chunky cut, greasy version? Maybe wedge-like for the more upmarket areas? Scents would have to be tomato sauce, vinegar or extra salty. Maybe Himalayan pink salt for the upmarket version?

Can't see why they wouldn't be 'legal' for comps, after all it's simply 'matching the hatch'- got to be worth a fry.

Feel free to chip in with more ideas

• Haha 10

4 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Yep, that would definitely work. Particularly in the vicinity of marinas and fish markets that have cafes. As would a bread crust variant...that's another side project for you.

The 'realistic chip action' punchline had us rolling on the floor laughing in my office.

I'd like to see you and Waza make some and market them for $30 a pop. Only problem: if it was me, for that money, I'd buy several serves of REAL hot chips, catch some fish using them as bait and eat a few at while I'm fishing! 🤣

Mine will be soft plastic with a single extra small treble. Save queuing up buying, already cold and won't change consistency in the water. For those days when nothing else works😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

I would buy a stack of them because big wiley bream hanging around the pylons of a waterside eatery will smash them. Add some trans-fat scent and you couldn't miss.

I fished a bream tournament on the Clyde River many years ago and came across a situation like I've described. Big fish were smashing chips tossed in as soon as they hit the water, but refusing all lures crossing their path. 

I ended up cutting the tail off a white, 4 inch gulp minnow to resemble a chip as best I could and it worked, much to the disgust of some of the tourists might I add. The surface takes and wipeouts around the pylons were spectacular. Just as exciting as any hot bite in around the oyster racks.

Remind everyone of the Horlicks factory and the glutinous gel Pete!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My first experience using chips was al Mooloolaba many years ago, my son and I were on a fishing holiday with my mate and tourists were tossing chips in the water where the trawlers tie up, every chip was scoffed by a mega Bream, quick as a flash, a bag of chips was acquired and the rods got from the car, it was Bream after Bream, or a break off, biggest was just a few grams under 2KG. Used chips hundreds of times since anywhere there's a chip shop on the water.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Mine will be soft plastic with a single extra small treble. Save queuing up buying, already cold and won't change consistency in the water. For those days when nothing else works😉

And they won't get eaten by kids, seagulls, pesky fishing companions and yourself! I know for one I could do without the calories! 🤣

And yes @DerekD, they will be legal in bream tournaments too 😎

48 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Already working on this- main concern is the gulls taking them (being their natural food). Flutter action? Fast sink/slow sink? French fry, chunky cut, greasy version? Maybe wedge-like for the more upmarket areas? Scents would have to be tomato sauce, vinegar or extra salty. Maybe Himalayan pink salt for the upmarket version?

Can't see why they wouldn't be 'legal' for comps, after all it's simply 'matching the hatch'- got to be worth a fry.

I think if it can sink slowly, it will reduce the likelihood of gull hookups. Extra marks for AI controlled propulsion that would avoid gulls and stay in place for big bream 🤣

As for scent, it would have to be based on organic single origin/single plant potatoes for the upmarket areas, with an addition of pulled-pork essence and a dash of ultra-hoppy craft beer (IBU 10000) to top it off.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Remind everyone of the Horlicks factory and the glutinous gel Pete!

Wow Waza, how good was fishing The Horlicks Milk Hole when it was firing? Big mullet on 2kg spin gear was so much fun and pretty good tucker as well. 
That gluten was like chewing gum and would stick to everything haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DerekD said:

Problem is this would be against the rules in a lure bream fishing competition. The artificial chip would be allowed - probably a game changer though...

The image of a stack of those expensive looking flat decked boats with 'uniformed' fisho's casting chip lures using $1,000 outfits at the back of fish shops and talking their 'serious' talk just won't get out of my head now! Would surely be a world first and maybe start a totally new comp series- something like "Chip'n Bream Pro series" maybe Doyles could sponsor it?

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, DerekD said:

do we want a size that a big fish can hit in one bite but a smaller bream would have to work to engulf

Many Many years ago, on our honeymoon in Fiji we were served Fiji Taro chips .... they were cut "Fijian size" .... you could troll for tuna with that size chip ! 

Keep chipping at this guys ... has lots of merry-t ... 🤣

Cheers Z

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Wow Waza, how good was fishing The Horlicks Milk Hole when it was firing? Big mullet on 2kg spin gear was so much fun and pretty good tucker as well. 
That gluten was like chewing gum and would stick to everything haha.

I was about to ask Waza for a yarn, but it turns out it's already been covered by Waza and Pete (scroll to page 2):

EDIT: And here!

Can anyone even buy Horlicks anymore? Last I searched about a year ago, I couldn't find it and all I could get was a similar Nestle product. I was trying to explain to my family what Horlicks was!

1 hour ago, wazatherfisherman said:

The image of a stack of those expensive looking flat decked boats with 'uniformed' fisho's casting chip lures using $1,000 outfits at the back of fish shops and talking their 'serious' talk just won't get out of my head now! Would surely be a world first and maybe start a totally new comp series- something like "Chip'n Bream Pro series" maybe Doyles could sponsor it?

That would be a sight to behold! You need to make it happen Waza! And sell a few Waza wobblers at the flathead comps while you are at it!

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

I was about to ask Waza for a yarn, but it turns out it's already been covered by Waza and Pete (scroll to page 2):

EDIT: And here!

Can anyone even buy Horlicks anymore? Last I searched about a year ago, I couldn't find it and all I could get was a similar Nestle product. I was trying to explain to my family what Horlicks was!

That would be a sight to behold! You need to make it happen Waza! And sell a few Waza wobblers at the flathead comps while you are at it!

Am making a mould as I write this! Just need to find my yellow pigment paint and they'll be in production as I have everything else organised. The research and development division (Derek and I) have worked tirelessly on this project, we figure that the gulls won't be that much of a problem as long as the lures get about a foot under water fairly quickly.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

What a crack up Waza. Still chuckling. Neil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

What a crack up Waza. Still chuckling. Neil

Hi Neil! Thank Derek, he's the mastermind of the chip concept! Moulds are still not set or I'd pour some tonight as I found my colour pigment and should have some done in about 24hrs, just have to muck around making colours chip compatible as I only have light gold left of the yellows- shouldn't be too hard

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Now we need some volunteers to test these where they know the bream hit floating fries.

@Green Hornet are you up for giving these a crack.

And so started Waza's wonder lures (first attempt at a catchy title)....

I’d be up to give one a try. Although I usually avoid busy areas, I’m thinking the wharf at Huskisson where the whale/dolphin watching boats could be worth a go. I’ll grab some Aldi fries for barley haha.

Thanks for the offer.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 1