Fresh Water Yabbies - Central Coast NSW

Trout TK

I live in ourimbah sorry I’m not to good with electronics had to get my wife to set the account so if you get a love heart instead of  a smile face don’t take it the wrong way it’s my computer skills sometimes I give the I pad to my wife she says how did you get on that app I say don’t know just hit that button thanks for the information love trout fishing to 

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2022 at 3:33 PM, Trout TK said:

Does anyone know where I can catch fresh water yabbies on the coast please?

And has anyone fished Ourimbah creek by kayak?

Hi Trout TK and welcome to the forum. Freshwater yabbies and shrimps can be found in all the freshwater impoundments and rivers. I would suggest that if you are using them for Trout bait fishing (assumption) you probably need freshwater shrimps, not Yabbies. Yabbies grow up to about 15 cms long whereas freshwater shrimp grow to about 5 cms long. 

How to catch them. Freshwater shrimps can be caught in rectangular shrimp nets (available from fishing shops and big stores). They have a small pocket for the "bait". The best stuff to put in there is a bar of soap. You will catch plenty if you can locate a bit of a weed bed.

Freshwater Yabbies are caught in a net like a crab net. The bait is kidney or heart tied (in the bait holder) to the bottom of the net.

Check DPI fishing regulations for how many nets you can use and bag limits per person.

Best way to fish them. A paternoster rig with a size12 hook, pin the shrimps through the tail so they can still move. A better bait for Trout is earthworms.

Hope this helps. Any questions, get back to me. Good luck, bn

• Like 4