Fished Sydney Today For Kings

netic

Hey All, Went out today to get me some kings.

Found getting squid hard, managed only 2 in 2 hours and scored 1 cuttlefish.

Went to the eastern wedding cake to see if the kings wanted to say hello.

Managed to get 11 kings, now you may say how did i manage that with only 2 squid and a cuttle,

Now i have some good news and some bad news.

The bad news is that a new summer run of kings must of entered the harbour this week and they are quite small in size, between 40cm to 55cm with the odd one just above legal, out of the 11 kings i got today only 3 were legal, with 1 being 75cm and the other 2 just on 60cm, the 75cm one was taken 1 hour before the main school appeared, so the larger ones are still there but you have the hope and pray that the small rats dont get to your bait before the larger ones do. I feel that the larger ones will settle into Middle Harbour leaving the rats in Sydney Harbour.

Now for the good news, the school was bubbling, with gulls working and baitfish jumping (i havent seen that since 03/04) but that is not the real good news, these rats were taking anything, I ran out of squid so i decided to try some frozen squid my mate brought along, i cut the squid into tassled peices of strips and they got smacked straight away, i tried frozen squid head and that also got smashed, this all happened around the eastern wedding cake, we got 10 in 30 minutes, then i ran out of squid and had to go home.

So the good news is that if you don't like cacthing your own squid you dont have to, al least not for the next few weeks, after a few weeks they may get picky.

Although the smaller kings do not fight as hard they can be good fun on light tackle and a great way in introduce yourself to kings if you havent got one before.

So if your looking to break your kingfish virginity get out there, these fish were all there around the top of the tide and we were downrigging for them but some others guys were very slow trolling with success also.

On occasions the school would go deep but once we trolled around there last known position the rods started to buckle, Keep an eye out for other boats who may be fighting a king and troll close to them, your hook up chances will improve greatly.

Good luck

thats good new for me mate, thanks for the answer.

does this mean u will go up to middle harbour to chase them?

I will give the harbour another try, if i cant find the bigger ones i will move into middle harbour, thats the bad thing about the summer run coming in, the average size goes down dramtically.

Gio, Downriggers are a device that allow you to troll your baits at any depths. eg 1 metre of the floor.