Solo launch at Belambi boat ramp

Blade

23 minutes ago, Blade said:

Hi Raiders, 

Planning to fish around the Belambi area. 

In terms of putting the boat in and retrieving it, is it possible to do this solo at Belambi?

I don't have a drive on drive off trailer, I use a launch rope. 

Size and type of boat would help the guys give you advice.Hopefully you can.

I think it would be challenging …

here’s a few snaps I took when I went to check out the ramp 

F55C573E-4E2D-49D0-8DCE-53AAB799180C.thumb.png.853d3dbe520539bfd1dbfb49448c2a08.png

7C4DE5D5-E5F4-4B00-89A2-3262B7FAEC87.thumb.png.3e95f3585f4f280d6b69d07e2cc38440.png

2E5B596B-D8F4-4CBC-B3FD-A4452D292821.thumb.png.ad4dbd96c3026273be3ad8cdf3d4fe80.png

you can see the ramp does not have a floating pontoon- that complicates tying up and getting in and out of boat … and there is no sandy area to beach the boat.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, noelm said:

Long rope so it can reach jetty, push boat way out, get onto jetty, pull boat along, tie up, park car, go boating........coming back in is just the reverse.

It really depends on the boat as @Fab1 implied. 
There’s no way I could push off like that with my previous 6+m Haines or the current CruiseCraft.  
Driving on-off and tying up can also be problematic depending on wind and tide as the platform could be too low under water for fenders to be effective, and tying against pylons is a recipe for hull damage and an impediment to climb in and out. 
That’s why I said it’s challenging - not impossible - but each to their own. 
cheers Zoran 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Blade said:

Hi Raiders, 

Planning to fish around the Belambi area. 

In terms of putting the boat in and retrieving it, is it possible to do this solo at Belambi?

I don't have a drive on drive off trailer, I use a launch rope. 

The worst thing with Bellambi ramp is the swell and low tide.The swell comes through the breakwall as well from around the corner and on to the ramp i have a drive on trailer but have seen plenty of people use a launch rope you will know what i mean when you have done it a few times and it can be a challenge at times when there is a bit of swell around dead flat easy good luck.

• Thanks 1

I used to launch regularly out of there for a few years; at the time I had a 14 foot predator trihull. I did do a couple of solo launches there; doable but pick your days. You can get a bit of swell coming through and unattended boats will get smacked around by the wharf. At all times launch on the left side, that is the ramp further from the wharf. It's slightly deeper than the side next to the wharf.

Overall the facilities are good. It's a very popular spot and can get pretty busy, so of course you'll get clowns blowing up at you for taking too long sometimes on solo launches. Mind you that can happen anywhere. I haven't launched from there for a very long time; bigger boats and more fuel load means I launch from Botany when I'm going south. Well once I start using the boat again in the new year.

Cheers

Rob

I don’t use the ramp as I don’t fish outside anywhere.My step daughter lives down the road from the ramp and it can get pretty hectic.We’ve watched people struggling with more than 1 person .

Here’s a clip of how nice it can get I found on YouTube if you haven’t seen it.

I’ve seen it worse before when visiting.

Yeah that's Belambi ramp, good time had by all when the swell and wind is up! If this is a local ramp for you I'd consider using the ramp in Wollongong Harbour. It's not great but it's a safe harbour launch with a beach, there isn't a wharf there.

When you think of it the Wollongong metro area has pretty poor launch facilities; you need to go to Port Kembla to find good ones.

Cheers

Rob