Fishing in Queensland - Basic Questions

Gengar

Hi Raiders

Heading up to Gold Coast and Brisbane for 10 days and hopefully will get some time to do some fishing! Been doing some research on the QLD rules and not sure if its just because i am not familiar with me but i find the rules especially regarding closed waters and seasons very confusing. Anyway hoping someone that fishes in QLD can help with some simple questions:

(a) Fishing licence - I can't find anywhere that says i need a fishing licence unless i am fishing in stocked impoundments. Is it true I don't need a licence unless I am fishing in stocked impoundments?

(b) Stocked impoundments - I have never fished at these areas before but I am attracted by the fact there are Australian bass, golden perch, Mary River cod and saratoga none of which I have caught before. The two impoundments closest to Brisbane are Lake Kurwongbah and North Pine Dam. I probably only have time for one, any recommendation on which one? I am going to be landbased and was wondering if I can target these fish landbased? Do they take the usual lures (eg grubz, double clutch, etc) or bait (eg prawn)?

(c) Closed waters (https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/business-priorities/fisheries/recreational/recreational-fishing-rules/closed-seasons-waters) - Is there a map or something that easily highlights the area that I can and can't fish? Dont want to accidently get a fine!

Thanks all!

You don't need a licence to fish in Qld like you do on NSW, but you do need a stocked impoundment permit to fish in the dams you're talking about, available online

There shouldn't be any closed waters around brissie and GC from memory only ones I know of are Barrier reef sanctuary zones

I think there are some closures on the Mary river catchment for cod spawning season but they are specific creeks

I did loads of research before a recent 3 week trip to Qld, SEQ is pretty straight forward it's when you go north it gets complicated 

2 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

You don't need a licence to fish in Qld like you do on NSW, but you do need a stocked impoundment permit to fish in the dams you're talking about, available online

There shouldn't be any closed waters around brissie and GC from memory only ones I know of are Barrier reef sanctuary zones

I think there are some closures on the Mary river catchment for cod spawning season but they are specific creeks

I did loads of research before a recent 3 week trip to Qld, SEQ is pretty straight forward it's when you go north it gets complicated 

Thanks mate for all the info! Might be a stupid question but is there any particular reason i would want to pay for a licence to fish at the stocked dams rather than elsewhere (which doesn't requirement a licence) ? Is it because i am more likely to get a fish at the stocked dams?

14 minutes ago, Gengar said:

Thanks mate for all the info! Might be a stupid question but is there any particular reason i would want to pay for a licence to fish at the stocked dams rather than elsewhere (which doesn't requirement a licence) ? Is it because i am more likely to get a fish at the stocked dams?

It's more about access to quality fish, especially fish like barra and Saratoga 

Generally speaking impoundment fish are way harder to catch

11 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

It's more about access to quality fish, especially fish like barra and Saratoga 

Generally speaking impoundment fish are way harder to catch

Got it. Those impoundment areas seem to be a good place for a day out. Will report back how i go! Cheers!