Fishing near Bathurst

Pickles

Hey RIders, need some input on fishing around Bathurst area. My son has recently moved there (& now I’ve finished painting his house and cleaning up garden & lawns- things we do for our kids) I’ve got some time to investigate the fishing there, but don’t know the area at all.

A bit of research has shown Ben Chiefly dam is closed due to blue-green algae.

I don’t mind a trip to the dams (or rivers) nearby (Oberon, Wallace, Carcoar, Macquarie river, Fish River) but will have my granddaughter (9) and wife with me, so reasonable ramp access is high priority and land based a bit of an issue due to restricted mobility.

Any input gratefully appreciated- be out there next week (15-17th)

Pickles

When I lived in Orange I used to go to Ophir a lot. Fishing and shooting bow hunting etc, of coarse I was a lot younger and fitter way back then.

The kids would enjoy the camp site at Ophir with old gold fields and a huge mine ( cave ) that is fun to explore, some good trout and Redfin to be had walking the lower Lewis creek.

Trunkey Creek is another of my favorite spots ( knew the guide from Abercrombie caves and stayed at his place ) The caves are a great place to spend a day away from fishing and in my opinion every bit as good as Jenolen.

Just a couple of day trips near Bathurst you would enjoy.

And of coarse do the tourist thing and drive the Mt Panorama track and visit the exhibition center

Frank.

Edited by frankS
  • Like 3