Spam posts and new members

Hi All,

You may have seen some spam posts coming through in Fishing Reports and other areas. Please help by using the report function three dots ... which you will find at the right of the offending post, and select "report". This will come through to the mod team to deal with. 

A big thanks to the members who are doing this and letting us know quickly.

We are also seeing lots of new members. Could everyone please help by referring them to the Introduce Yourself post found in Fishing Chat. They may want to make an entry there and it helps us know their level of experience and other things to answer their questions. It is also better to link and direct them to use of the search function rather than to just answer random questions. We have our information stored in forums and sub forums unlike fb. It is best to help newbies on how to enjoy the community. 

Contact me on pm if needed anytime.

Regards mrsswordie aka Donna (Fishraider Community Manager) 

• Like 11

I have seen spam in the comments  on Shroom’s YouTube videos - something to do with magic  mushrooms iirc . I usually scan the comments a few times during the night when at work and I will gladly report any I see that are spam , offensive  or racist .

On a few forums I have been on ( not fishing related) they had to approve the first couple of posts after they approved your membership because the spam got so bad that the moderators spent most of their time hunting down the offending posts and then deleting the post and membership. Also on these forums which are worldwide they considered it to be impolite to just charge in and ask questions without at least a basic introduction and nothing more than saying hello , my name is and my interests are was all that was required - it is a bit like someone you don’t know butting in on a conversation. When signing up a window would pop up on the screen with a First post guide telling the newbie that the first post has to be approved  so you may as well make it an introduction .

Edited by XD351
  • Like 3

Thanks for the insight @XD351 

There are many controls we can use to ensure some order.

There were some alterations made to the rego process a little while back. The process has today reverted to the previous method. 

Please continue to be vigilant and report anything you think we should know about. 

• Like 2