First post, looking for tips for Jervis Bay

wazmond

Hey lads,

going to Jervis bay soon for a few days, and looking to get some fishing done. Prefer to get some Aji(yellowtail scads) or some Squids. My rods are very light 2-4kg so will probs stay away from snappers etc. 
Still new to fishing and havent been to JB in a long time so hoping the community would be able to help me out?
Locations, gear, bait, lures etc.

Thanks everyone -

As noelm said, land based or boat and are you staying around Callala Bay/Beach or Huskisson? Makes a big difference on what advice we can give.

Squid have been very quiet down here lately, but if land based, try around the rocky/weedy points or the Murrays Beach boat ramp area. From a boat, there’s plenty of sea grass beds just out off the shoreline along the eastern and southern sides. Just make sure you stay out of the sanctuary zones.

Along with the whiting, you can also walk the beaches flicking a 3 inch plastic or blade in search of flathead and bream. The beaches are flat and featureless, so covering plenty of ground is the secret to success and as well as casting out into the deep, flick the lure out ahead of where your walking, just a couple of meters out off the sand. The fish are often sitting right up against the shoreline letting the wave action dislodge food for them.

Don’t overlook Currambene Creek too. There’s plenty of good fish in there and it’s quite protected from strong summer breezes.

Also, seeing that you’re new here and welcome to the site by the way, try using the search function or scroll through the articles section for a plethora of excellent advice on squid fishing and everything else that swims. There’s more good info on this site than anywhere else on the internet you’ll find.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, so im going to be based around huskinson, though im planning to go Murrays as ive seen videos and reports of squid in that area. 
not really a fan of flatties, it was a headache to fillet and not a fan of it.

Currently only got small rods but ill try go for whitings at the beach when time comes. I should have some SP’s so ill play with that.

Im happy to drive out to callala as well, any yakkas there?

been searching through the forums looking for JB reports but havent found too many in terms of squid and yakkas

cheers

If you’re based around Huskisson the rocks at the mouth of Moona Creek and Plantation Point are your best chances for squid. Murrays is good too, just a little further to drive plus you have to pay to gain entrance into the National Park. Berley up at any of the above mentioned spots and you’ll find a few yakkas, but don’t be surprised if they’re only there in the dark.

You’ll also get squid and yakkas off the wharf at Callala Bay boat ramp, though not as consistently as the other spots I mentioned. Also, although it looks close on the map, Callala is about 45 minutes drive from Huskisson as you have to go right back to the highway to get there.

I don’t know why you have difficulty filleting a flathead. I reckon they’re one of, if not the easiest fish to clean. Perhaps a YouTube video or two could help you out.

• Like 2

Squid down here has been cleaned up over the break however will get them most trips out. Plantation is my go to in the boat but people do get them off the rocks and at the boat ramp there.

Some monster bream, flathead and tailor in currambene creek. Even had a mudcrab on the ramp the other morning which got the heart racing unhooking the boat.. 

Edited by Fishseeker4.0

6 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

If you’re based around Huskisson the rocks at the mouth of Moona Creek and Plantation Point are your best chances for squid. Murrays is good too, just a little further to drive plus you have to pay to gain entrance into the National Park. Berley up at any of the above mentioned spots and you’ll find a few yakkas, but don’t be surprised if they’re only there in the dark.

You’ll also get squid and yakkas off the wharf at Callala Bay boat ramp, though not as consistently as the other spots I mentioned. Also, although it looks close on the map, Callala is about 45 minutes drive from Huskisson as you have to go right back to the highway to get there.

I don’t know why you have difficulty filleting a flathead. I reckon they’re one of, if not the easiest fish to clean. Perhaps a YouTube video or two could help you out.

Ill give plantation point a go for squid. Im going to murray area for snorkeling so will try it then. 
Youd think Callala would be easy to get to but no… I guess thats a no go.

Flathead is just… slimey and looks freaky. Its super easy to fillet though, not wrong. Caught 2 so far, a 45 and 55cm back in Hawkesbury River.

but defo keen to get onto some squid at plantation

3 hours ago, Fishseeker4.0 said:

Squid down here has been cleaned up over the break however will get them most trips out. Plantation is my go to in the boat but people do get them off the rocks and at the boat ramp there.

Some monster bream, flathead and tailor in currambene creek. Even had a mudcrab on the ramp the other morning which got the heart racing unhooking the boat.. 

What bait were you using for the bream and tailor at currambene? Ill be based in the holiday park which has the jetty so hopefully get some fishing done then

21 hours ago, wazmond said:

What bait were you using for the bream and tailor at currambene? Ill be based in the holiday park which has the jetty so hopefully get some fishing done then

Peeles prawns with a light running sinker to J hook goes well and is my bream rig. Too heavy and your dragging the sand

:1welcomeani: @wazmond!

Some good advice here, including some knowledgeable locals living in the vicinity of the area.

Please introduce yourself here: 

Finally, the best thankyou you can give for fellow Raiders' advice is to write a report! Let us know how you get on. Even a complete donut report can lead to you getting the help you need, or even helping a fellow Raider learn something new.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1