Going offshore Sydney

Allgearnoidea

Gday, I have an old fibreglass Steber 500DF. It has a 2019 70hp Yamaha that I got put on. It’s my first boat and has done me well in rivers around Sydney.

I haven’t been offshore yet, but I’m keen to give it a go. I would be staying under 2nm.

Wondering if any raiders can give me their thoughts on if this would be a good enough boat to do it? I would only go out if it’s calm.

Apologies if this is a dumb question, just don’t want to make any mistakes. Understand I need to get the additional safety gear etc

Thanks!

No dumb question here. Been discussed many times and it comes down to -  skipper experience - know your craft and how it handles - get familiar with weather and sea forecasts - pick your days and remember wind is your enemy!

Have a read of these topics to get some pointers ... then maybe pop back with some specific questions.

Is the Steber 500DF a runabout or cuddy? Have you been offshore with anyone experienced before?

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks heaps Zoran! I’ve been out a few times with others, so have a bit of knowledge but not the personal experience. The other posts you sent were really useful. The Steber is a runabout. I’m pretty confident with handling it these days, so thought it time to give it a crack. 

thinking if I get the right conditions I’ll take it out of Botany Bay and test myself

Quoting from one of those earlier posts:

"Everyone starts with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The objective is to fill your bag with experience before you run out of luck." 

.... and don't forget to have fun !

Cheers Zoran

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

It's certainly substantial enough for what you describe. I'm not aware of its particular handling traits though. Some boats handle following seas better than others. Just keep in mind broaching can be a dangerous outcome in following seas. Use plenty of up trim to keep the bow up when going with the swells. 

• Like 2