Targetting Snapper in Winter - Land Based

Hi Guys,

Normally, I stop the fishing in the Winter, a donut feels much worse on a Cold day but I am thinking of targetting a Winter fish this year. 

Please give any relevant tips - Months, Lures, Location, etc.

I will likely be targetting them on SPs but happy to hear other ideas.

Cheers

HP

Well, you are already making it hard for yourself using soft plastics while being land based. The most productive way is to make a long cast (90 - 100m) from the ocean rocks using bait. You want to get out past the reef and on to sand or gravel. To that end a 4 oz snapper lead and a paternoster rig is usually employed. A tough oil fish fillet like trevally is used for bait and 3/0 suicide octopus or suicide hook. Summer and autumn is more productive as this is when snapper are in close. 

Edited by slowjigger

2 hours ago, slowjigger said:

Well, you are already making it hard for yourself using soft plastics while being land based. The most productive way is to make a long cast (90 - 100m) from the ocean rocks using bait. You want to get out past the reef and on to sand or gravel. To that end a 4 oz snapper lead and a paternoster rig is usually employed. A tough oil fish fillet like trevally is used for bait and 3/0 suicide octopus or suicide hook. Summer and autumn is more productive as this is when snapper are in close. 

Can you plz explain how I'm making it harder?

Hey mate I went through a land based snapper phase, only ever fished plastics.

I used my normal snapper set up 7’6 snapper rod, 4000 reel, 20lb braid and leader.

Throw big plastics 7 inch and up, to get some weight behind your cast. Light jig heads, 1/6 to 1/8. 5/0 hooks. 9/10 you’ll get hit on the drop., so you want maximum sink time. 

Offshore winds help with your casting distance. And you need to pick good ground. If snapper are caught in the area by boat fishos then that’s a decent start.

Be prepared for plenty of casting. Normal rock fishing caution and ocean knowledge applies.

It’s rewarding when you get them. The best fish I managed was 70cm and just under 4kg. Even though I’ve got better ones drifting the shallows in a boat, that was my most memorable red.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, HawkesburyParadise said:

Can you plz explain how I'm making it harder?

Well, it's less productive than bait fishing, especially off the rocks. One factor is you won't get the same casting distance. You want to get out past the reef onto the sand and gravel which is where they tend to hang around.