Waders

fredflathead

If your referring to on a kayak, absolutely not. Main thing being the safety concern of you flip. Once they fill with water, pretty much not going to be able to swim at all. If your thinking about winter, found a wetsuit was great, but leave the top half off as I over heated to much. Even though I think you said you were in fresh water, with a less likely chance to flip, best that your prepared for that one time you do. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, slothparade said:

If your referring to on a kayak, absolutely not. Main thing being the safety concern of you flip. Once they fill with water, pretty much not going to be able to swim at all. If your thinking about winter, found a wetsuit was great, but leave the top half off as I over heated to much. Even though I think you said you were in fresh water, with a less likely chance to flip, best that your prepared for that one time you do. 

Thanks slothparade, I use waders when prawning and have a belt around my waist if I fall over I will not fill up with too much.

Never thought of wetsuit pants for winter. 

• Like 1

Take a look at Kokotat pants, they’re quite popular amongst keen, winter kayakers. They’re made from gortex, easier to walk in than waders, waterproof and have a sock in them, so you need some type of footwear to go over the top. Some wear wetsuit boots, others opt for Crocs. Best of all they have a wide band around the waist that keeps the water out. 
Since selling my kayak I still use mine for winter beach fishing and standing in knee deep water when chasing blackfish and stay warm and totally dry.  
I’ve tested the waistband in a pool and while not a perfect seal, they only let in about a cupful of water after about 15 minutes. Also, if worst comes to worst, they’re easy to remove in the water.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1