Why kayak fishing has made me a better angler

FishingFables

I've been kayak fishing for a long time now, and I must confess I often look at boat fishermen speeding across the water in front of me and wish I could cover the distance they do. If the fish aren't biting they can shoot across the other other side of the lake, or further upstream, in the blink of an eye compared to my paddling speed.

Yet when I think about it, I reckon fishing from a kayak has made me a better angler. It has taught me the importance of taking things slowly, of moving quietly and being stealthy. And because I can't cover as much water as the boaters, I need to make the most of the area I can fish. This means methodically working likely spots with multiple casts - making sure if there's a fish in the area I get my lure in front of it.

During a recent trout fishing trip in Tasmania, the guide who took me out for the day had exactly the same approach to fishing streams. Take it slow, cast in a grid system to cover all the likely spots, then take three steps forward and repeat. It was a lesson I had already learned in my kayak - make the most of what's in front of you because you don't have a 100 HP motor, you have a paddle.

To illustrate the point, I took this video kayak fishing a creek. All up, I reckon I spent the day fishing no more than a few hundred metres of water. I worked every inch of it though, worked it harder than the boat fishermen who came by, made a few casts and then moved on to where they thought the grass was greener. Maybe it was, that's something I'll never know. But what I do know is that I left no stone unturned that day and managed to catch a few good bream and flathead. 

I reckon I have a few more years paddling in me yet - I wouldn't have it any other way 🚣‍♂️

https://youtu.be/75Ks93Z2Rsg

• Like 10

Great report accompanied by an excellent video that basically, has made me green with envy. Kayak fishing presents those capable of doing it with some distinct advantages, as you mention. 

This style of fishing lends itself to my type of fishing (inland, freshwater rivers), yet very few people partake. It may well be that most anglers here on the Murrumbidgee River are old and decrepit, like myself. There are distinct advantages to using a kayak though. Transportation and launching are high on the agenda, add in the already-mentioned stealth feature and one would have a serious assault weapon to use on Australian native species... providing one was capable of getting in and out of their kayak.

If you ever fancy fishing for Australian Native species, shoot me a line. I think you would really enjoy the challenge. I could help out with appropriate tackle, advice, and even accommodation. 

I have really enjoyed your posts to date. They exude quality. Keep up the good work.

bn

7 hours ago, big Neil said:

Great report accompanied by an excellent video that basically, has made me green with envy. Kayak fishing presents those capable of doing it with some distinct advantages, as you mention. 

This style of fishing lends itself to my type of fishing (inland, freshwater rivers), yet very few people partake. It may well be that most anglers here on the Murrumbidgee River are old and decrepit, like myself. There are distinct advantages to using a kayak though. Transportation and launching are high on the agenda, add in the already-mentioned stealth feature and one would have a serious assault weapon to use on Australian native species... providing one was capable of getting in and out of their kayak.

If you ever fancy fishing for Australian Native species, shoot me a line. I think you would really enjoy the challenge. I could help out with appropriate tackle, advice, and even accommodation. 

I have really enjoyed your posts to date. They exude quality. Keep up the good work.

bn

Thanks for the thoughtful response BN. You make a really good point about transportation and launching - I now use a simple, lightweight canoe for most of my trips. It is easy to throw on the roof racks and easy to launch - I just need to find an access point on a river or lake. I don't have to deal with the traffic jams at boat ramps around Sydney, which is a major plus for me.

In terms of chasing Australian Natives in my canoe, I've had success in rivers and lakes with bass, but I've never had the chance to chase  Murray Cod, which is something I've been thinking about for a long time. I've seen videos of Murray Cod smashing surface lures - I'm sure that's a sight you'd never forget!

What's the best time of year to chase Murray Cod? I'll have to make a plan at some point to visit your part of the world.

Cheers

Jason

3 hours ago, FishingFables said:

Thanks for the thoughtful response BN. You make a really good point about transportation and launching - I now use a simple, lightweight canoe for most of my trips. It is easy to throw on the roof racks and easy to launch - I just need to find an access point on a river or lake. I don't have to deal with the traffic jams at boat ramps around Sydney, which is a major plus for me.

In terms of chasing Australian Natives in my canoe, I've had success in rivers and lakes with bass, but I've never had the chance to chase  Murray Cod, which is something I've been thinking about for a long time. I've seen videos of Murray Cod smashing surface lures - I'm sure that's a sight you'd never forget!

What's the best time of year to chase Murray Cod? I'll have to make a plan at some point to visit your part of the world.

Cheers

Jason

I will never forget the first Murray Cod caught on the surface Jason. I was, of course, in a boat. I cast into a little corner of a snag , left the surface lure for a bit, jiggled it a bit, then retrieved it with a few brief pauses. Nothing! I was looking where I would cast next when right at my feet the Cod smashed the lure. Frightened the living daylights out of me. It went 70 cms on the knocker.

Cod are active surface feeders, in low light periods, anytime. Closed season is Sept 1st to 30th Nov. Winter usually results in big Cod being caught and usually, water levels are lower then as there is less need for irrigation water.

Seriously, if you want to try it sometime, give me a hoy. I have entertained several Sydney-based Fishraiders and to date, not had any fail to score native species (Murray Cod, Trout Cod, and Yellowbelly). I have all the gear for surface and sub-surface Cod fishing. With your video skills, I reckon you would succeed in getting great footage.

Meantime keep the videos coming, they are very good quality.

bn

• Like 3