Stingray?

gianniz

I haven't caught a fish for a while and I am bored so would like to go for a stringray bashing :)

They put up a good fight and would like to test my rod on it so if anyone know a good place to hook up a decent sized stingrays please let me know.

Thanks in advance

if you want to catch a door mat get your self down to mainbar fish the evening on a rising tide use bait like mullet i can almost guarantee you'll hook one but why you would want has me stumped :wacko:

Edited by kikila

If you really wanna get smoked big time ,go to the Kiama boat harbour where the boats are near the launching ramp with a whole dead slimie and hang on tight .6ft wide and I reckon that deep as well :1yikes:

Good Luck landing one of these BLACK STINGAREES

Cheers Swordfisherman

I'm really sorry gianniz, but I just gotta say it - I reckon you should leave the stingrays alone, especially the big black ones.

You'll never land one - they're just too big - you'll probably end up killing it or leaving it dragging your rig around for the next couple of weeks. They're quite a beautiful creature and I don't reckon there's any good reason for us fishos to target them when there are so many other fish around at the moment.

It reminds me of a story from my past . . . I grew up fishing around the town of Bawley Point down south, which has a resident population of huge black stingrays (as do most towns with a boat ramp). Most of them were partly tame because of their close interaction with humans (not that you'd want to give one a hug or anything) and the township knew many of them by sight. The local kids (myself included) had even named a couple - I think I still see 'Stumpy' every now and then when I'm down there.

One day I wandered down to the local Gantry to do a spot of fishing and there was this idiot sitting on it strapped into a chair that was in turn strapped to the Gantry - with full Marlin gear - trying to catch one of these big black beauties. Even at my tender age of about 13 or so I knew that this guy was in for it if he actually caught one, and I told him so.

His response of 'get out of here kid' got my goat until about 5 minutes later when I saw 3 or 4 local fishos walk over and tell him that his fishing presence there was unacceptable, and that the big stingrays were not for catching. He left under their supervision, never to be seen (by me at least) again.

But look - as long as it's legal you're entitled to catch anything you want and I realise that it's totally none of my business. Just thought I might try and dissuade you . . .

Mondo

I haven't caught a fish for a while and I am bored so would like to go for a stringray bashing :)

They put up a good fight and would like to test my rod on it so if anyone know a good place to hook up a decent sized stingrays please let me know.

Thanks in advance

mate why dont u tie ur line 2 a stick or bone and throw it 2 ur dog,if ur that desperate,everyone goes through dry spells,but cmon mate ,lift ur standards,stingers ,pulling in weed rates higher than stingers,hopefully youll snap out of it soon and get back 2 concentrating on catching fish

Edited by aquaaddict

speculations guys, i have caught couple of them before and they are pretty good fighters...

i am not after those 300kg monsters!! hell no... that will make my worst nightmare come true where i can pull into the water by a big fish!!! :)

i just want a decent doormat size ones 5-10kg model that will give me a decent challenge.

coming back from the south coast where every second cast was a monster salmon, sydney really sucks!

Last 3 outing and only 1 tiny chopper :(

my fairly new gears are crying for some good fight.

Gianniz,

I can understand your frustration. If you have a boat, watch these posts closely and you will pick up some great tips on where to fish. If not, put your hand up as a deckie and get a first hand look at what Sydney has to offer. You are welcome to come out with me one weekend, the Kings are thick at the moment and when you land one of them you'll never look at a stingray again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Pete

thanks for the offer captain :)

i will definately hold you to that offer :)

heading out to wale beach tomorrow morning, hoping to break the 3 week drought...

after some bonnies and kingy :) even salmons will do :)

thats the way mate,hopefully u will brake ur drought and hook into some nice fish,good luck and let us know how u went,p.s ill go tell the stingers ther safe now ,gianniz is back on track :thumbup: