Never owned a boat,but want too.

Greyoz69

Gday fellow fishing enthusiasts, I am looking for advice on boating. I have never owned a boat but would like too as I'm about 5 years of retirement. I would like to get a boat that will probably be a once off buy to see me through. I have limited space in a double garage approximately 18ft long by 9ft wide for storage. I like the look of a few models:

Stabicraft 1550 fisher

Horizon 485 scorpion

Stacer 519 searunner

Quintrex 510 ocean spirit

Not sold on any of them,just like the look of them as far as fitting in garage with fold down roof,safety,resale down the road and they would suit me and the good lady for comfort and ease of use.

If anyone has any of these, and could say the pros and cons, or any others anyone cares to mention. Not really interested in fiberglass as it would be mainly myself solo alot of the time. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ps I'm an aussie living in the usa, but will retire back in south australia when the time is right, doesn't hurt to look to the boating future.

Edited by Greyoz69

Hi and welcome to the site.

Don't know where you live but IF in Sydney I would recommend you visit the big snake head office at Chullora and have a look at the Golf Runner range of boats. They have pretty well all the models on display under cover and all in the one place.

Pretty basic set ups with just enough toys to get you started. They are a well made craft and well priced. You can add the toys you want to make it the boat of your dreams.

Edit OK typing while replies were made.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My advice would be to try and get out with someone on their boat a few times so you can see the full process of ownership from others experiences. Do a bit of reversing and trying to find a parking spot once the boat is in the water. Be there for it all, from cleaning it and parking it securely away at the end of the day. You may know or be prepared to learn the boating regulations but once on the water you will be confronted by numerous boaters who don't seem to have a clue. Owning a boat is hard work, often after a tough day on the water all you want to do is walk away from it. However on a good day with clam sea's and dolphins riding the bow waves or gentle run up a river the not so good parts of boating are soon forgotten. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Any of the boats you have listed would require a break away draw bar on the trailer so it fits into the garage. These are readily available and can be fitted by a handyman .

You would also have to have the motor trimmed down for them to fit in.

breakawaydrawbar.thumb.jpg.308777f5cd955cd23fa5df43cb50318d.jpg

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JonD said:

the not so good parts of boating are soon forgotten. 

… or you may be fortunate and be genetically programmed with a short memory for all things bad relating to boating. 😁

But in all seriousness- they are sage words from @JonD - I’ve experienced one mate who was dead keen on putting money down on an offshore rig - he went out with me twice for the full day experience and walked away from the idea - “too much work”. Another mate was a frequent boater in rivers and bays and owned a bow rider - was keen to upgrade to a bigger rig - went out for a day - was seasick the whole time and was surprised how much extra effort was needed for a bigger rig - he decided he was very happy to stick with what he had. 

So before buying go and experience a few different boats, and boating scenarios- inshore/offshore so that you can make an informed decision on the type of boating you enjoy and a boat type fit for that purpose. 

cheers Z

ps- I would not exclude fg hulls. I own a 7.2m fg boat and can launch/retrieve solo - the trailer is set up for it and I choose suitable ramps. But I don’t like to leave the boat unattended at the wharf while parking the trailer (to many sticky fingers) so always have crew - plus it’s more fun fishing with mates. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One more small point I would make is .

The seas around South Australia ( Adelaide ) are generally a lot smoother than the east coast so maybe you could get away with a smaller boat.

I have been fishing off shore many times in as little as a 11 foot alloy dingie and been safe a 14-15 foot boat seems a lot bigger there than it does in Sydney.

Frank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1