Sydney rock fishing

The tides and swell were perfect for a rock fishing session yesterday afternoon in pursuit of two of my favourite adversaries - luderick and drummer.

I recently purchased my dream luderick rod and I was keen to test it out - a 12 foot, 3-6kg 'ocean blackfish' designed by Gary Howard. The rod performed beautifully with a flippy tip to absorb the lunges from fish and enough grunt to land luderick. Drummer proved to be a different story which came as no surprise! I was busted off by half a dozen of the brutes but my fishing buddy managed to land a good one on slightly heavier gear.

After a couple of hours fishing, a massive storm front hit and we had to take shelter in a rock cave for a while. Being soaked through with a cold wind wasn't much fun. I was worried that our self-inflating life jackets would go off!

We persevered through the weather and still enjoyed the day. There's something about watching a float that takes all the worries of the world away.

Here's a short video of some of highlights.

Tight lines everyone.

Cheers

Jason

• Like 11

A few nice fish, free bait on the rocks, and a couple of larger waves that just pop up from nowhere - not big waves but enough to knock you on your bum if you don't pay attention.

• Like 1

I usually use chopped weed mixed with sand for luderick, and if I'm targeting drummer I've found bread berley works well. Just make sure it is soaked otherwise it will float and be a magnet for every seagul in the area.

Just a handful of berley thrown in every 5-10 mins is enough.

I don't always use berley though - when it is rough with a lot of current, I've found my berley gets washed away too quickly to be effective 🙂 

2 hours ago, kantong said:

wow, love it! thanks for sharing. Do you use any berley?

I usually use chopped weed mixed with sand for luderick, and if I'm targeting drummer I've found bread berley works well. Just make sure it is soaked otherwise it will float and be a magnet for every seagul in the area.

Just a handful of berley thrown in every 5-10 mins is enough.

I don't always use berley though - when it is rough with a lot of current, I've found my berley gets washed away too quickly to be effective 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustJames said:

Nice vid.

The opening shot is magic!

Your vid also shows how rock fishing can get dangerous.  You were in a "sheltered" spot on a calm day, and there was still plenty ocean motion going on.  

Thank you for watching James. 

And you're spot on about the dangers of rock fishing. It was only a 1.1 metre swell coming from the SE which offered protection where we chose to fish, but even so the backwash and currents are always unpredictable on an incoming tide.

• Like 2