Best Ultra Light Reel for under $150.00 and a question about rod length for casting distance.

Denisfisho

Hi all,

I want to upgrade from my shimano sienna, after three years of use it's starting to show it's age and my attempt at self servicing has made it worse.

I think I'd just like to try something a bit pricier but my budget is still limited to under $150.00 but I can push it to $200.00 if there is going to be a huge difference.

I am thinking the shimano nasci. Ideally, I just want a rod that spins as smoothly as possible for that price range. It just feels nice when I move the handle and the reel spins so easily that's what I'm after.

I've also been thinking about upgrading to longer rod for my ultra light land based fishing. As I understood a longer rod casts further and I've noticed that too with my 7ft rods over the shorter ones. I was thinking to get the shimano catana 8ft ultra light bream rod as my understanding would be that paired with light braid and appropriate weighted lures it would cast a mile. Would appreciate anyones thoughts on this especially if they've used both over and under 7ft long ultra light rods and have experience with the differences.

Thanks.

The nasci is a great reel definitely recommend 

The catanas are ok but they're not overly light. 8 foot can get a bit more difficult working small lures, 7 to 7 foot 6 with a fast action would work better for you

• Like 2

Have a look at the Okuma reels. They come with a 10year warranty. I have two of them,never had a problem.

Dawia Supercata rod or the new Ugly Stik carbon or any of the Abu Garcia 4.0 Veritas range

Good luck.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rebel said:

Have a look at the Okuma reels. They come with a 10year warranty. I have two of them,never had a problem.

Dawia Supercata rod or the new Ugly Stik carbon or any of the Abu Garcia 4.0 Veritas range

Good luck.

I have the abu garcia 4.0 veritas travel rod, 7ft and I think 1-4kg, going on it's maiden voyage tomorrow for redfin.

I bought a nasci 1000 today but when I went in the car and gave it a few spins where it was more quiet I noticed it seemed to be creaking a bit so I took it back, will have  alook in another shop as that was their only one.

Edited by Denisfisho
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

For your ultra light rod, look at the Daiwa infeet 752 rod, should be able to get it for $189.

I have a nasci 2500, its a great reel and very smooth. In the daiwa stable I have a freams 2000, and infeet 2000 . They are all really smooth reels, but the daiwa reels are a touch smoother. You really need to balance the rod with the reel, so it feels balanced a reel  to heavy or to light might make it feel bottom or top heavy.

On 5/22/2023 at 9:39 AM, Bennyg78 said:

For your ultra light rod, look at the Daiwa infeet 752 rod, should be able to get it for $189.

I have a nasci 2500, its a great reel and very smooth. In the daiwa stable I have a freams 2000, and infeet 2000 . They are all really smooth reels, but the daiwa reels are a touch smoother. You really need to balance the rod with the reel, so it feels balanced a reel  to heavy or to light might make it feel bottom or top heavy.

Thats a great recommendation, I'll put that on the list to check out in the tackle shops.

I took out the abu garcia 1-4 travel rod to test out on redfin, and I had an unbelievable redfin session, almost 20 caught and my PB 42cm which felt like it was going to snap the rod but the rod pulled through and proved its worth. Now to get the nasci reel. Thanks guys 

346110458_1577523989380258_4528727849260629329_n.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Denisfisho said:

Thats a great recommendation, I'll put that on the list to check out in the tackle shops.

I took out the abu garcia 1-4 travel rod to test out on redfin, and I had an unbelievable redfin session, almost 20 caught and my PB 42cm which felt like it was going to snap the rod but the rod pulled through and proved its worth. Now to get the nasci reel. Thanks guys 

346110458_1577523989380258_4528727849260629329_n.jpg

Monster reddie

9 hours ago, Denisfisho said:

I had an unbelievable redfin session, almost 20 caught and my PB 42cm which felt like it was going to snap the rod but the rod pulled through and proved its worth.

I don't believe you. :mfr_lol:

Well done @Denisfisho To get a session like that would make most people envious. You are a world away from the person who was going to give up lures a few years back. Glad to hear the successes rolling in. You may not be doing so but be careful not to high stick the rod when fighting the fish.

Edited by DerekD