Homemade Lure

chris_55

Plastic straws only make up a small portion of single use plastic pollution, but they are especially nasty because of their shape.

As enthusiasts for playing in the waterways of the world, we fisho's should be doing what we can to encourage protection of what remains of our natural resources. 

• Like 1

That tired old picture gets dragged out all the time, I have seen hundreds of Turtles, millions of seabirds and Dolphins and have yet to see a single one with a plastic straw in its nose......

• Like 2

Just getting on my soap box for a second....supermarkets have ditched plastic carry bags, yet you still buy dozens on items wrapped in plastic, bread, milk, meat (including styrofoam), biscuits, cheese, washing detergent, you name it, it's in plastic, yet the green hairy armpit tree huggers got bags banned! If they don't want want to be super hypocrits, ban the damn lot.....rant over.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2023 at 1:46 PM, noelm said:

That tired old picture gets dragged out all the time, I have seen hundreds of Turtles, millions of seabirds and Dolphins and have yet to see a single one with a plastic straw in its nose......

I'm not surprised.

When they start on that turtle, even up close, you can barely make out the straw in his nose.

If you can see that when you see a turtle in the water, your eyes are better than mine.

Theres a person insta that makes lures out of random objects. From bashing clunks of lead or a berocca container. After he makes them, he uses them to fish. If you look historically through his profile, you can see how well he has gotten making them. Not all lures are self made but a fair few.

Profile name: Kyoichi_Higashi.

Interesting seeing him catch with them.

21 hours ago, JustJames said:

I'm not surprised.

When they start on that turtle, even up close, you can barely make out the straw in his nose.

If you can see that when you see a turtle in the water, your eyes are better than mine.

So, should we ban bobby corks, hand casters, Blackfish Floats, nylon line, sinkers.....where does it stop, one isolated case, trotted out to suit a narrative doesn't make a case to ban a simple object......yet it has done so.

23 hours ago, noelm said:

So, should we ban bobby corks, hand casters, Blackfish Floats, nylon line, sinkers.....where does it stop, one isolated case, trotted out to suit a narrative doesn't make a case to ban a simple object......yet it has done so.

Plastics are harmful for the environment, of that there is no doubt.  If you think that the ban on drinking straws and plastic shopping bags is all due to a single straw in a single turtle's nose, then you really do need to read wider.

Nylon line is harmful if dumped in the ocean, which is why responsible fisho's take discarded line home with them rather than dumping it in the ocean.

Floats and hand casters are designed to be re-used, which is why they won't be banned any time soon.

I'm not sure what point you are making here....that there is no problem with plastic waste in the oceans (and elsewhere)?