Sydney To Whitsundays Trip Advice

KOUF97

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has some advice/info or must see spots on the way up to the Whitsundays.

Got 4 weeks off work on the back half is September and planning a trip up north.

I’ve fished most of the usual spots from Sydney to Bundaberg so will skip most of that and get up there nice and quick.

I was thinking do a week of boat camping out of Yeppoon  then slowly making my way up the coast stopping at different spots with the final week or so up around the Whitsundays.

Got an old Bertram 23 in tow and keen as to get to as many great fishing/diving spots as possible. If there are any recommendations that would be much appreciated as these would be all new waters to me.

B13301F2-523F-414B-9E6E-65FD218A5437.jpeg

• Like 4

There is a million places to fish, an over nighter in Fitzroy Lagoon or Lady Musgrave out of 1770 is a must......buy plenty of ice, QLD is a lot different to down this way!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, noelm said:

There is a million places to fish, an over nighter in Fitzroy Lagoon or Lady Musgrave out of 1770 is a must......buy plenty of ice, QLD is a lot different to down this way!

Spent a fair bit of time around Musgrave, my old man used to own the marina out of Bundaberg so spent plenty of time off there. Yeah the heat is definitely a bit diffrent to down here.

Will do a bit of research of Fitzroy lagoon and work out local green zones.

Would you have any recommended charts for the area?

Edited by KOUF97

No, all my fishing up there is with some local mates, Fitzroy Lagoon is a sheltered mooring spot, there is a narrow, marked entrance, and moorings there to use in the lagoon itself, great spot for an overnight sleep.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 6:31 PM, noelm said:

I go to 1770 every second year, and Caloundra a few times a year, got mates who live there, and pre Covid we used to have a big "meet and greet" at 1770/Agnes Water.

I head to 1770 too, love fishing out around the reefs offshore. I normally base on Musgrave, so having fished the inshore much though. Had some rough trips home in those SE 30kts + winds, they seem to get me every time!!!!!....now prepared with a Garmin in reach to get weather forecasts from anywhere.

• Like 3

On 6/8/2023 at 8:42 PM, KOUF97 said:

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has some advice/info or must see spots on the way up to the Whitsundays.

Got 4 weeks off work on the back half is September and planning a trip up north.

I’ve fished most of the usual spots from Sydney to Bundaberg so will skip most of that and get up there nice and quick.

I was thinking do a week of boat camping out of Yeppoon  then slowly making my way up the coast stopping at different spots with the final week or so up around the Whitsundays.

Got an old Bertram 23 in tow and keen as to get to as many great fishing/diving spots as possible. If there are any recommendations that would be much appreciated as these would be all new waters to me.

B13301F2-523F-414B-9E6E-65FD218A5437.jpeg

I would highly recommend heading out to Lady Musgrave for a few days from 1770, not just the fishing but swimming with turtles and manta's etc. Camping permits are needed to stay on the island costing around $7.50 per night but with your side boat I would sleep onboard. Very sheltered anchorage out there even in very bad weather.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JonD said:

I head to 1770 too, love fishing out around the reefs offshore. I normally base on Musgrave, so having fished the inshore much though. Had some rough trips home in those SE 30kts + winds, they seem to get me every time!!!!!....now prepared with a Garmin in reach to get weather forecasts from anywhere.

There is some great fishing in close, the bait ground just out of the river is a place for constant break offs by "things" you can't stop, lots of Spanish up the beach to the next headland too.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice everyone, getting pumped for the trip now. got a spare week un planned so will see where we end up. Lucinda is looking goods

Got the transom all sorted, motor put back together and in and sounder setup. Only thing left to sort is an anchor winch and she will be ready.

IMG_8171.jpeg

IMG_8155.jpeg

IMG_8154.jpeg

Edited by KOUF97
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 9:06 AM, noelm said:

There is some great fishing in close, the bait ground just out of the river is a place for constant break offs by "things" you can't stop, lots of Spanish up the beach to the next headland too.

Is the bait holding over anything or just in a general area and what is the bait ?

Kouf97,

Firstly, luv your Rig !!  I have a soft spot for the O'l Berties, in fact, all tho I said I'd never do another, I feel the need to do another rebuild and I have been on the lookout for  23ft Bertie for a while now. ,I looked at a hard top version only a few weeks back down this way, but we couldn't agree on a price, the owner had the boat for 25 years and wouldn't budge, it needed a full rebuild and an engine swap, which he wouldn't take into consideration, he still referred me to old " Covid" prices. I'll keep looking...

I Can't offer fishing spots for your trip north, but a few months back, I drove from South coast NSW to Cairns, was a big haul, near 3K, but was blown away by the coast all the way up, especially the potential fishing spots. I had no time to take my boat up as I had prior commitments in Townsville then family stuff in Cairns. I was all set to drive the coast back, but my other half preferred the inland route, Truly some great looking spots to explore, for sure.

Goodluck with your planned trip, it's something on my bucket list to do now too.

l