Wyangala Dam Long Weekend

Katoe

Gday legends,

Ventured out to the Dam with the family on Friday. On the water 0530 Sat morning and was the first time exploring up the Abercrombie Arm found plenty of timber and shallow banks. Threw surface for the first few hours Sat morning until about 0800 no rises or interest. Switched to swim baits after that with nil joy. Picked the Fam up about 1030 and switched to baits for the kids as I flicked a Jackall Transam around timber for yellowbelly, managed 2 carp on bait and 1 yella on lure which was kept for the table. Sunday was more fishing with the kids but resulted in a donut. 

Results seriously making me consider investing in live tech when I can afford it.

Anyway time on the water was better than sitting at home.

Cheers

Katoe

Yella.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bessell1955 said:

Good size fish.  How was it like to eat?

Hey mate it ate great light dust of flour an pan fry. I like them because I grew up eating them Mrs and Kids weren't the biggest fan of the soft flesh.

Wyangala one of my favourite places tricky to fish at times as all impoundments can be. Last 2 trips had more success fishing at our campsite whilst others flogged the water to a foam in the boat. At least you were out having a crack in a ripper part of the country. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lizardboy said:

Thanks for report Katoe, I will be giving Wyangala a crack this weekend! I have been psyching myself up for 2-3 years for my first winter cod trip, just to deal with the cold!

cheers,

Gus

Good luck Gus. Wrap up well!     bn

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lizardboy said:

Thanks for report Katoe, I will be giving Wyangala a crack this weekend! I have been psyching myself up for 2-3 years for my first winter cod trip, just to deal with the cold!

cheers,

Gus

Good luck mate!

here is where I got the Yella. 

33°54.9067'S 149°3.5779'E 

Katoe

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 8:42 PM, Lizardboy said:

Thanks Neil, Bessel & Katoe.

Katoe, appreciated. Btw did you come across any sign of bait or birdlife?

cheers,

Gus

Hey mate didn’t sound up school of bait just a lot of carp jumping around structure were areas I was targeting. 

Hi Katoe,

thanks, were you in the main basin, we went up the Abercrombie, saw very few carp jumping.

Our trip was enjoyable despite us not catching anything. We fished points and bays a few km’s up the Abercrombie Challenge was finding the right spots to fish, we sounded around but never found or saw any great concentration of bait or fish, at least until the last night on our way back we found a bit. We got on the water 4:30pm Friday, just long enough to record a track for next morning. We had a full day fishing Saturday and decided not to go out Sunday morning due to big drive back and early work Monday.

The lesson we learned was it’s hard cod fishing in winter because you don’t get a lot of feedback, hits or catching smaller fish to let you know you might be in the right are. We agreed we need at least 3 days fishing next time to make sure we can find fish Good concentrations of bait/fish. Then we just need to get them to bite!

Here is a pic from our trip, the only significant cod like fish we sounded. 

07DE9B2D-770D-4E87-A915-306CFFACD274.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2