Central Coast beach lure fishing

Hi all,

Recently started beach fishing (still quite new to fishing in general if being honest) and have had mixes results. I am targetting decent sized salmon/tailor with 40-60g metals and I know I have the right setup so am just looking for some extra tips and help. I understand first/last hour of light, combined with a rising or high tide for best results but seemed to be getting mixed results. The last two times I have gone out I have come back with donuts. The only thing different (that I can see and tell) is that the times I have caught fish the swell had been 1m-1.5m. The last two times I have gone out it has been 1.8m (11s). Does the swell make that LARGE of a difference for lure fishing the beaches? The only beach I have been to is North Entrance which takes about 35 minutes to get to. I am thinking of trying Wamberal as it it is much closer and have been told that this time of the year any beach will produce results?

I have been enjoying myself and chatting with locals but feeling a bit disheartened now going out twice in two early morning get ups with nothing.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

Sometimes they just aren’t there, so don’t be discouraged with a few donuts every once in a while.

Both salmon and tailor don’t like a swell large enough to stir up the sand. Obviously they don’t like it getting in their gills and in these conditions you should be looking for either deeper, clean water or smaller waves at the protected end of the beach. If neither exist, head to another beach that offers some protection, ie: if there’s a large south swell running, hit up a beach that faces north.

• Like 4

Yes it does , the tailor and salmon are there eating small bait fish and larger swell will push that bait out away from the beach and the fish with them . Tailor and salmon are always moving and will travel the whole length of the beach so find a gutter with some wash around it and cast to the edges of the wash , if you don’t get anything after maybe a dozen casts move on to another gutter . If the swell is a bit big look for the calmer areas at the ends of the beach - general rule of thumb is southerly swell , fish the south end , northerly swell fish the north end s the the headlands give some protection from larger swells . GH posted as I was writing this and yes the beaches are oriented differently , some face due east some more southerly others more northerly . 

Edited by XD351
  • Like 4

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I was mainly feeling disheartened from not being able to find more knowledge on the subject but you guys have smashed it. The two times i got donuts, I could see the sand within the waves being dumped on the back sand bars so thought that may have been the case with the bait fish moving away. Being located on the Central Coast I have a few beaches close by so happy to try a few ones closer to me on good days. Love the advice about chasing where the swell heads, makes real sense. That thing I find fun about lure fishing is the real thought and theory that goes behind it. Will definitely be chasing those deep gutters and holes down the far ends now!

We have had some light rain here today, how does rain affect the beach fishing? only ask as I don't think i have ever gone beach fishing after rain before.

4 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Sometimes they just aren’t there, so don’t be discouraged with a few donuts every once in a while.

Aside from visually seeing a school, bait fish leaping or birds swooping down, are there any other markers to look for to see if there are fish around?

• Like 1

With lure fishing it isn’t mega important but when bait fishing the wind ( if it is a cross wind ) will put a bow in your line and make bite detection a problem . Don’t try to read too much into it , better to get out and give it a go and in time you will work out what you can put up with and what you can’t- wind forecasts are never correct and I have had may a fishing trip ruined or cancelled because of them . If you can get down to Sydney I would recommend you go for a guided tour with Alex Bellissimo, he will fast track your beach and rock fishing immensely. As with swell you can use the terrain to help with strong wind - southerly wind head south to the nearest headland and visa versa for northerly winds .

Take a look at these videos and their respective channels on YouTube, plenty of info to be gained here .

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Scott the fisher said:

Aside from visually seeing a school, bait fish leaping or birds swooping down, are there any other markers to look for to see if there are fish around?

Other than seeing obvious schools of fish breaking the surface, you can often see them from quite a distance when they’ve schooled up tight, appearing as a dark mass in the water, not unlike a patch of weed or reef. This is best achieved from a high vantage point like a car park, headland or sand dunes behind the beach.

That being said, the vast majority of my fish come from holes or gutters showing no obvious signs. So any spots showing the slightest possibility are always worth a couple of casts at least before moving on.

• Like 5