Help indentifying boat.

Damon7

It does look a bit Pongrass like, but seeing as it’s been cut to bits, it’s a guessing game. It might be the angle, but the motor looks way too low, maybe an XL shaft on a L transom?

My question is does it even matter what it was when it is no longer what it was? Enjoy it for what it is and  get out there.

Nice boat.

Edited by Fab1
  • Like 3

Pongrass were made for years, closed, reopened, changed names at one time (to Freeline) not too sure how old that one would be. There was a cabin model about 18-19’ at one time. That one has been pretty well cut to bits, in a very “backyard” way. Pongrass were OK boats, reasonably well made, not exactly top of the line, but OK.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, noelm said:

Pongrass were made for years, closed, reopened, changed names at one time (to Freeline) not too sure how old that one would be. There was a cabin model about 18-19’ at one time. That one has been pretty well cut to bits, in a very “backyard” way. Pongrass were OK boats, reasonably well made, not exactly top of the line, but OK.

My brother in-law a way better boatie than me had a pongrass in the 80’s that use to get him out there and back safely then.Good info you provided Damon 7 mate.

• Like 1

Here is a Pongrass 5.8 from an earlier thread.

Think you may have to re-thing what your boat is.

Could possibly still be a pongrass. How are you measuring the boat length. Get a tape and run from tip of bow through to top of transom.

Do not measure from tip of bow around gunnel to transom.

pongrass5_84.jpg.a3e155ca75c31d6b9ae9e47b247205ef.jpg

pongrass5_82.jpg.c24043904f510d522a311e8dc66677b6.jpg

pongrass5.8.jpg.707473da7ef0421bb51aa55c9e904e1f.jpg

Frank

That’s a much later model, might even be one of Freeman’s boats (Freeline) he bought the brand and built much more modern boats. Fished with a mate out of one of those models for years, pretty good boat.

Most of the older Pongrass had a very square look and a small (about 50X50mm) keel running almost the full length of the bottom, not many other builders had a “keel” as such, and I think I can see what appears to be similar in one picture.

• Thanks 1