Up to Palm Cove for the weekend

jenno64

Bring bait jigs with a suitable sinker, to catch some herring. You know how to do the rest 😎

But failing that, lures should work too.

A long handled telescopic landing net would be handy, but I'm talking 5m rather than 2m...tidal differences are a bit bigger in that part of the world. Finally, don't forget the insect repellent if you're around at dawn or dusk. Sandflies can be nasty at that part of the world. Also have some wire, in case the spaniards come out to play. I made this crucial mistake when I was up at Fraser and lost every single Spaniard I hooked.

Unfortunately when I was there, it was the middle of the day and blowing a gale and the herring weren't around. I caught a lot of these croaker like fish that looked like mini Mulloway on bait. Can't remember what I had for bait (maybe pillie fillets?). Depending on how old the grandkids are, they may find them entertaining.

Regardless how the fishing goes, enjoy the warmer weather for a change!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/27/2023 at 6:53 PM, Little_Flatty said:

Bring bait jigs with a suitable sinker, to catch some herring. You know how to do the rest 😎

But failing that, lures should work too.

A long handled telescopic landing net would be handy, but I'm talking 5m rather than 2m...tidal differences are a bit bigger in that part of the world. Finally, don't forget the insect repellent if you're around at dawn or dusk. Sandflies can be nasty at that part of the world. Also have some wire, in case the spaniards come out to play. I made this crucial mistake when I was up at Fraser and lost every single Spaniard I hooked.

Unfortunately when I was there, it was the middle of the day and blowing a gale and the herring weren't around. I caught a lot of these croaker like fish that looked like mini Mulloway on bait. Can't remember what I had for bait (maybe pillie fillets?). Depending on how old the grandkids are, they may find them entertaining.

Regardless how the fishing goes, enjoy the warmer weather for a change!

You were right about the wind, it was blowing from dawn to dusk! Only had a light set up and flicked some biggish plastics around for nada. Some kids had a net and got a few herring but the only fish being caught were small sharks. At least I got to wear t-shirts and shorts for a few days!

On 7/28/2023 at 11:20 AM, Rebel said:

Have a look at Google.

Heaps of Info.

Have a great trip.

At least it was a getaway....next time I'll be organised!

• Like 1