Lure recommendations for baitcaster

AlbertW

Hey All,

Picked up a new zodias rod at the boat show for my curado K 200HG and looking for some particular lure suggestions, the rod is rated 10-25lb braid and 10-35g lure weight which is perfect for what I'm doing, (a little bit of everything) I can do topwater, swimbaits, plastics, vibes , jigging off the kayak on both landbased and kayak as the rod is only 6 foot. I'm putting 20lb berkley x9 on the curado and going to be using 15-20lb mono leader depending on what type of lure I'll be throwing. Any general tips are greatly appreciated as this is the first time I'll properly get into using the curado.

Cheers,

Albert

• Like 1

You need a Gold Bomber or three in your collection to throw over the shallow flats in summer, and also to bring up north when you start travelling there with your Curado in early adulthood (it seems inevitable that you will😎).

Also if you want a swim bait that is not intimidatingly heavy, try a Fishcraft Dr Glide. I think the biggest model is only about 19g - about the same as a gold bomber. Very modestly priced too, from what I've seen.

• Haha 1

It's about what the rod can handle, good setup for harbodies, slow rolling bigger soft plastics and vertical jigging vibes

Be a good setup for murrsy cod or bigger bass lures, would be ideal for barra and jacks

Some deep divers may pull to heavy on the rod but you can only really know by trying

• Like 1

Hi Albert,

Also consider getting one of the larger sugapens (they do a 120mm). Firstly, they are a great lure to work on your walk the dog technique. Secondly, the kings will hit it in the summer when the bigger schools are around.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi Albert,

Also consider getting one of the larger sugapens (they do a 120mm). Firstly, they are a great lure to work on your walk the dog technique. Secondly, the kings will hit it in the summer when the bigger schools are around.

Regards,

Derek

My mate eesh sold me all his stuff last week as he’s back in Cananda now and he gave me all his stuff so now I have his jigs, topwater(he’s got the big 120mm sugarpen) and a lot of topwater stuff as well- spinnerbaits and cranks

20 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

You need a Gold Bomber or three in your collection to throw over the shallow flats in summer, and also to bring up north when you start travelling there with your Curado in early adulthood (it seems inevitable that you will😎).

Also if you want a swim bait that is not intimidatingly heavy, try a Fishcraft Dr Glide. I think the biggest model is only about 19g - about the same as a gold bomber. Very modestly priced too, from what I've seen.

Going up north is one of the things I’m planning to do at the end of the year holiday haha, can’t wait to throw some topwater lures in the gold coast canals or maybe go up to NT. Either that or I visit cooks island/ Christmas Island for GT 😎 

On 8/8/2023 at 6:32 PM, AlbertW said:

Going up north is one of the things I’m planning to do at the end of the year holiday haha, can’t wait to throw some topwater lures in the gold coast canals or maybe go up to NT. Either that or I visit cooks island/ Christmas Island for GT 😎 

First time I went up north I bought a bait cast outfit which gave me no end of issues, casting to far, to short, into trees, overruns etc etc !!!!!...just not used to flicking such light lures basically.  My daughter is heading north again in a couple of weeks and Im heading up not long after but will stick with the spin outfits. My daughter mostly used vibes where in one tide change session her and the fella she fished with caught over 100 Barra (he did used to be a Barra guide up there).

My other daughter fishes around Xmas island and the NT with her partner who claims brassy trevaly are mistaken for GT's, which he says are very rare in the NT and more a QLD species. 

• Like 3