Fishing in Auckland? Any tips appreciated

AlbertW

Hey All,

I'll be visiting Auckland for a few days this holiday and I really want to bring a rod, I'll be living in a hotel right next to the water in the port area, this is my first time visiting the north island and 2nd time actually visiting new zealand, so I know nothing about fishing there. My current game plan is to bring a 3000 sized reel, and to hire a kayak in mission bay if i can fish there and drop either soft plastics grubs or bait. Could someone please help me out with general info like where I can fish and where I cannot?

Thanks in advance,

Albert

Edited by AlbertW

• AlbertW changed the title to Fishing in Auckland? Any tips appreciated
50 minutes ago, AlbertW said:

Hey All,

I'll be visiting Auckland for a few days this holiday and I really want to bring a rod, I'll be living in a hotel right next to the water in the port area, this is my first time visiting the north island and 2nd time actually visiting new zealand, so I know nothing about fishing there. My current game plan is to bring a 3000 sized reel, and to hire a kayak in mission bay if i can fish there and drop either soft plastics grubs or bait. Could someone please help me out with general info like where I can fish and where I cannot?

Thanks in advance,

Albert

I just realised that there is a lake pupuke stocked with trout 😅, guess im bringing my 2500 and my 3000

30 minutes ago, Mike Sydney said:

@AlbertW lots of freshwater rivers closed until October season starts , but lakes are all good. 

Heres a recent report out of Auckland 

https://www.fishing.net.nz/fishing-reports/saltwater-fishing-reports/inner-hauraki-fishing-report-8-9-23/

Cheers mike, I'll read up and get myself familiar with the new zealand fish and game website 👍

19 hours ago, Bryant fish said:

Hi I’ve fished north island twice there are snapper galore also plenty of kingfish with a kayak you should have a great time and dont need anything special in the way of outfits i have only used pilchards there and have done well

It's just a basic plastic rental kayak haha, I'm not old enough to hire the Sea kayaks so I don't think I'll be getting any kingies but there should be plenty of snapper in the bay 

On 9/13/2023 at 7:11 PM, AlbertW said:

I just realised that there is a lake pupuke stocked with trout 😅, guess im bringing my 2500 and my 3000

Be a bit wary about spending scarce holiday time fishing Pupuke. I used to live nearby and spent hundreds of hours fishing it for the massive total of two small rainbows. Fortunately there were enough rudd, perch, tench and wild goldfish to keep me occupied. On other occasions it’s fished quite well because for a while Fish and Game NZ stocked it with two year old hatchery fish every second year. These fish were used to hatchery pellets so they were pretty desperate in the wild - a lot of people got good catches if they fished after a release and didn’t care that their ‘trout fishing’ involved pursuing ex-hatchery fish slowly starving to death. In any case, Pupuke has little chance of sustaining a wild trout population so without recent stocking it would be coarse fish only.

Perhaps find out from Fish and Game NZ if they have done any recent releases there or try to talk to someone who actually fishes there.

otherwise, I’m not going to advise because my knowledge is too out of date.

Edited by Volitan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Fantastic to see you living it up in your youth, like you should, Albert! You certainly aren’t phased by adventure on your own, like I was at your age.

I’m just waiting to see the reports when you eventually get your own car and maybe even a boat!

Have you got your fly outfit yet?

Not yet haha, I'm planning for something big next year so all my income has been going towards saving up for that

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Volitan said:

Be a bit wary about spending scarce holiday time fishing Pupuke. I used to live nearby and spent hundreds of hours fishing it for the massive total of two small rainbows. Fortunately there were enough rudd, perch, tench and wild goldfish to keep me occupied. On other occasions it’s fished quite well because for a while Fish and Game NZ stocked it with two year old hatchery fish every second year. These fish were used to hatchery pellets so they were pretty desperate in the wild - a lot of people got good catches if they fished after a release and didn’t care that their ‘trout fishing’ involved pursuing ex-hatchery fish slowly starving to death. In any case, Pupuke has little chance of sustaining a wild trout population so without recent stocking it would be coarse fish only.

Perhaps find out from Fish and Game NZ if they have done any recent releases there or try to talk to someone who actually fishes there.

otherwise, I’m not going to advise because my knowledge is too out of date.

I'll be happy enough with a perch or the others, did you target perch on lures and the others on bait?

15 hours ago, Volitan said:

bait.

usually in the quarry, not in Pupuke itself.

Now that I look at it, I might take that day and drive up to one of the lakes in Rotorua instead or do you recommend any other spots less than 2 hours drive?

It all comes down to when you will be there vs what is open. Most of the rivers and streams will be closed till October 1. 

it also depends on what sort of fishing appeals to you. In my case i love dry fly fishing streams and small rivers - usually involving day-long walks upstream slowly fishing each pool. So I’m biased towards that sort of fishing - which may not be appropriate for everyone and seldom leads to either large fish or large numbers of fish.

I think if I had a day or two out of Auckland, and the rivers were open, I would go to the South Waikato and fish rivers like the upper Waihou (above Tirau, 2 hours drive from Auckland), the Waimakariri (nearby) or the Waiomu (near Matamata) These are on the way to Rotorua, but maybe one hour less drive. Be aware the fish tend to be on the small side and spook easy in the really clear water (spring fed mostly, although the Waiomu is quite dirty as it flows across dairy country). Fly fishing should be best but I imagine some of the rivers allow lures or soft plastics. If I had to pick one spot for one day it would be the upper Waihou. 

Alternatively, you could go south west instead of south east and fish the rivers verging on the King Country, like the upper Waipa near Otorahanga, which is just over 2 hours drive.

if the rivers are not open then you will need to fish a lake. Most of the many Lakes in the Rotorua district will be open. Karapiro, on the way to Rotorua will be open but I’ve never had much luck there. 

Rotorua is good because of the diversity of fishing environments. It is a long trip though for a day and will have you fishing in the less productive middle of the day times.

still, comparing fishing in Rotorua or South Waikato or King Country to fishing in Lake Pupuke is comparing the sublime to the ridiculous.

So we need to know what days you will be there to see what will be open.

Edited by Volitan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Volitan said:

It all comes down to when you will be there vs what is open. Most of the rivers and streams will be closed till October 1. 

it also depends on what sort of fishing appeals to you. In my case i love dry fly fishing streams and small rivers - usually involving day-long walks upstream slowly fishing each pool. So I’m biased towards that sort of fishing - which may not be appropriate for everyone and seldom leads to either large fish or large numbers of fish.

I think if I had a day or two out of Auckland, and the rivers were open, I would go to the South Waikato and fish rivers like the upper Waihou (above Tirau, 2 hours drive from Auckland), the Waimakariri (nearby) or the Waiomu (near Matamata) These are on the way to Rotorua, but maybe one hour less drive. Be aware the fish tend to be on the small side and spook easy in the really clear water (spring fed mostly, although the Waiomu is quite dirty as it flows across dairy country). Fly fishing should be best but I imagine some of the rivers allow lures or soft plastics. If I had to pick one spot for one day it would be the upper Waihou. 

Alternatively, you could go south west instead of south east and fish the rivers verging on the King Country, like the upper Waipa near Otorahanga, which is just over 2 hours drive.

if the rivers are not open then you will need to fish a lake. Most of the many Lakes in the Rotorua district will be open. Karapiro, on the way to Rotorua will be open but I’ve never had much luck there. 

Rotorua is good because of the diversity of fishing environments. It is a long trip though for a day and will have you fishing in the less productive middle of the day times.

still, comparing fishing in Rotorua or South Waikato or King Country to fishing in Lake Pupuke is comparing the sublime to the ridiculous.

So we need to know what days you will be there to see what will be open.

I'll be there this friday to next Wednesday haha

55 minutes ago, Volitan said:

Two photos of the upper Waihou just above Tirau. Taken in 2003 although I doubt anything has changed. Fly fishing heaven.

just talking about it is making me jealous.

4DA8974A-C085-47C2-BC14-CA8E8B65B433.jpeg

B13D2C8B-2F64-420C-AA8F-20706C7BB894.jpeg

Looks stunning mate, shame that it won't be in season when I get there

That’s a shame on the timing. Fishing the lakes around Rotorua probably will be your best bet then. I don’t feel my knowledge is suffiently up-to-date to advise. I’ve fished the rivers I told you about in recent years but not Rotorua district.

Hey Albert, I’ve just been reading this document https://fishandgame.org.nz/assets/Uploads/82808-FG-Fishing-Regs-NI-22-23.pdf

and noticed that the Waihou, Waimakariri and most of the Waipa are open year round. Not what I was expecting - I thought they had a closed season.

most of the other rivers in the district are closed till October 1 but I guess they have to keep something open for the sake of visiting anglers.

So it looks like you could fish a river if you wanted.

id be heading for the Waihou.

let me know what you decide and I can give more detail (as long as my knowledge is current).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Volitan said:

Hey Albert, I’ve just been reading this document https://fishandgame.org.nz/assets/Uploads/82808-FG-Fishing-Regs-NI-22-23.pdf

and noticed that the Waihou, Waimakariri and most of the Waipa are open year round. Not what I was expecting - I thought they had a closed season.

most of the other rivers in the district are closed till October 1 but I guess they have to keep something open for the sake of visiting anglers.

So it looks like you could fish a river if you wanted.

id be heading for the Waihou.

let me know what you decide and I can give more detail (as long as my knowledge is current).

Oh thats great, I'll definitely be going to waihou then, I'm thinking of the access at Herries Park in order to keep the family happy so they have something to :biggrinthumb: thanks in advance. I don't quite have the funds for a fly rod right now but a 2500 sized nasci with 4lb braid should be light enough for the river right? I'm thinking of using a slim swims with a little golden TT spinner attached to it.

Isn’t Herries a park near Te Aroha. That section of the Waihou is in the ‘lower Waihou’ and its deep and sluggish and dirty water. It’s willow lined mostly. Fishing is unpredictable - I’ve read that it has some large fish but I’ve never met anyone who’s caught one. Plus your family won’t thank you for making them spend time in Te Aroha. That would be a struggle.

I don’t know what your family likes to do, but what I would try to do is sell them the benefits of a day out like this.

all get up a pearly and drive south.

Drop you off near Tirau, on the upper Waihou. Probably near the junction of Whites and a Leslie Rd, a short diversion of State Highway 5 to Rotorua.

They continue on to Rotorua, about another hours drive.

you fish the upper Waihou

On the way back to Auckland, you meet where they dropped you off and return to Auckland.

that way both parties do what they want to do without bothering each other. Rotorua is probably the number one tourist spot in the North Island with something for everyone. There are loop roads past various picturesque lakes, all that geothermal stuff like geysers and hot springs, plus they could have a nice leisurely lunch somewhere. They have a great day out and the only thing extra they are doing for you is driving a short distance up Whites Road. You get to fish for 6 hours or more. 

if they won’t come at that, then here’s another suggestion.

Go to the Middle Waihou around Matamata or Okaroire. This section is ‘middle’ in every way. Middle water clarity, middle current flow, middle terrain, middle water volume. It’s willow lined and flowing through farmland so you will have to ask permission from a farmer, but they rarely refuse. It’s also ideal spin fishing, rather difficult with a fly rod because of the willows, which makes the fishing under-utilised. It’s quite good fishing for good size fish. so maybe your family can drop you off at the river then go to Matamata which is a nice modern town, with some good restaurants for lunch. Matamata got a lot of tourists because it had that Hobbitown thing going on. Doing the Middle Waihou/Matamata will be much better then Lower Waihou/Te Aroha, I really recommend against that.

Cheers

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Volitan said:

Isn’t Herries a park near Te Aroha. That section of the Waihou is in the ‘lower Waihou’ and its deep and sluggish and dirty water. It’s willow lined mostly. Fishing is unpredictable - I’ve read that it has some large fish but I’ve never met anyone who’s caught one. Plus your family won’t thank you for making them spend time in Te Aroha. That would be a struggle.

I don’t know what your family likes to do, but what I would try to do is sell them the benefits of a day out like this.

Drop you off near Tirau, on the upper Waihou. Probably near the junction of Whites and a Leslie Rd, a short diversion of State Highway 5 to Rotorua.

On the way back to Auckland, you meet where they dropped you off and return to Auckland.

that way both parties do what they want to do without bothering each other. Rotorua is probably the number one tourist spot in the North Island with something for everyone. There are loop roads past various picturesque lakes, all that geothermal stuff like geysers and hot springs, plus they could have a nice leisurely lunch somewhere. They have a great day out and the only thing extra they are doing for you is driving a short distance up Whites Road. You get to fish for 6 hours or more. 

Go to the Middle Waihou around Matamata or Okaroire. This section is ‘middle’ in every way. Middle water clarity, middle current flow, middle terrain, middle water volume. It’s willow lined and flowing through farmland so you will have to ask permission from a farmer, but they rarely refuse. It’s also ideal spin fishing, rather difficult with a fly rod because of the willows, which makes the fishing under-utilised. It’s quite good fishing for good size fish. so maybe your family can drop you off at the river then go to Matamata which is a nice modern town, with some good restaurants for lunch. Matamata got a lot of tourists because it had that Hobbitown thing going on. Doing the Middle Waihou/Matamata will be much better then Lower Waihou/Te Aroha, I really recommend against that.

Cheers

Ahhhhh I see it on the map now, is this the route you mean?  That entire river after that is public land right? If so that looks like fishing heaven...

Wahou river.png

2 hours ago, AlbertW said:

Ahhhhh I see it on the map now, is this the route you mean?  That entire river after that is public land right? If so that looks like fishing heaven...

Wahou river.png

Now that I've done some more research I'm able to fish till the end of the river right? Till the blue spring. I'll be using spinners and plastics then

14 hours ago, Volitan said:

Cheers

After some further digging it looks like that I might have the whole place to myself as the blue springs is closed due to a rockfall at the Leslie road entrance

Yep. Walking and fishing along the Te Waihou walkway is great. It’s heavily fished and there will be other anglers there but don’t let that bother you. I’ve steered you towards the Te Wairoa track area because I’m assuming you won’t have a lot of time and will want to spend it all fishing not doing reconnaissance, so it’s important to go to a predictable spot even if it’s not the most productive. You could equally go downstream, or to anywhere else on the middle or upper Waihou or the waimakariri (a little further along state Highway 5) and you probably will be on your own and probably get better fishing.

Actually I think the land around the walkway is private land, but DOCs or Fish and Game or whoever has negotiated access with the farmers so you are welcome as long as you behave yourself and shut any gates etc. You get that quite a bit in NZ, where anglers access has been negotiated and signposted etc. Elsewhere access is not a problem if you ask first - I don’t recall ever being denied fishing access in NZ. There’s also the ‘Queens chain’ law where the public has guaranteed access within 22 meters of any permanent waterway, which is an interesting right but most anglers think it’s important to ask regardless.

I spent a long day of about 14 hours on the Te Waihou starting at that car park you have highlighted and never got as far as the Blue Pool so it’s a long way when you are investigating every pool or run.

As I said, the river there is clear, the fish wary, the fishing pressure is quite high, so don’t expect lots of fish or big fish. Treat it as a lovely bush walk and an exercise in learning about trout and how they inhabit a river and exploit the resources in it. Learn how to sight fish by spotting fish in the water and presenting your lure without spooking them. Look at where they lie when they are feeding and where when they are resting. Learn their tolerance for close approach etc etc. It’s best if you have Polaroid glasses. Waders are good too, although not essential for lure fishermen, especially if you don’t mind crossing the cold river every now and then. Make sure you have very light trace material, and a range of lures, and make sure you have a lure or two that will get down deep very quickly as there are a few deep holes. Be biased towards small lures.

Edited by Volitan
  • Like 4