Heading to " Mudgee "

BaitDropper

Well, as the title states, my wife and I decided while we had the opportunity, to escape for 3-4 days and check out Mudgee.

We both are working part time now, which is great, my job involves coaching and doesn't have terms or breaks or a season, just got to do it while it's on offer, So I have 7 days before I have to coach again, My wife contracts, so she can manipulate her work easily, So 3-4 days away will re charge the batteries.

Never been there, but we do like driving to new places. Any heads up about places in the area to see would be great. We normally just " wing " things when we get into this sort of mode, But I figured that I best do some research first. Completely forgot about Bathurst race, starting on the 6th, So won't be travelling to Mudgee via Bathurst 😁, which is a shame, as we both havent been there for near 25 years.

So I hear Mudgee is quite a food and wine type place ?? 

I am interested to see the comments on this one too. It is on our list to go back to when we can (that list is long!).   We have camped in the general area a few times but only spent a little time in Mudgee itself.

Sofala, Hill End, Dunns swamp, Rhystone, Kandos and Carpertee Valley all have something to offer and worth looking up to plan your trip. 

Here are some links to articles one of my friends Shayne has written up about our adventures out that way. 

https://www.facebook.com/581113265357136/posts/pfbid0n8T6ZJ6NUczPw5saMG2zkJcTu86hJEGrKyNqeYMLf9XWY1aEnheZdVh881Tt3yEXl/?mibextid=cr9u03

https://www.facebook.com/581113265357136/posts/pfbid01G5o9A9tCSRRWKFiJxsPa1aMuEBaeaqvBNh1CvqYJuPwz9FM5AvtXRQAjE8cn6oQl/?mibextid=cr9u03

https://www.facebook.com/581113265357136/posts/pfbid0xvSgEDsdjNvvrLdQhzRj6WXynsQZcoXbJZi3D1FNDF8RETEoqhCJhj5NQjAqcT65l/?mibextid=cr9u03

Thanks Welster, Perfect for ideas and things to consider, Thankyou,, very picturesque indeed,

The wife and I's camping days are gone now 😁, We are Motel-ing in Mudgee itself, but want to have a really good look around the town and surrounding areas.

We have some family coming from overseas next year for a decent long stay and we are hoping Mudgee can provide us with a place to re visit with them in tow.

Leaving in the morning, but I'll certainly take some Pic's of what we discover there and surrounding areas.

Taking my computer, so hopefully others with first hand experience will also comment..  Cheers

• Like 1

Kandos had Australias first cement factory that closed about 15 years ago i think.  They have a museum there but it is only opened some days.  Unfortunately those 40kg cement bags looked a little too familar 🤣

Things like that the walks the old mines, logging all interest me so I am easily entertained. It all fits together the dam that makes Dunns swamp pumped the water to the cement factory.  They had coal in one hill, limestone in the other and a cable car joining the two.  Pretty clever really. 

There is also a steam train from Rylstone that I would like to go on.  Not sure how often they run it though. 

Edited by Welster
  • Like 1

Mudgee was on my to-do list until a few years ago when I took one of the grandkids to see my daughter in Wellington, NSW. Looking for somewhere to visit, we went to Mudgee for the day. I love the history of places and found Mudgee to be a very quaint town that owes its existence to the nearby coal mining region. Not that you would know the connection from the beauty of Mudgee. Lovely buildings, especially the adjacent churches and nearby civic buildings. Clean and compact with friendly people, is how I found it...expensive real estate for a country town. We didn't spend enough time there as the drive from Wellington was over an hour each way.

Hope you enjoy your trip there, I'm sure you will.    bn

• Like 1

Well, had a great few days in Mudgee, wished I could have gone thru Bathurst, but diverted to miss all the race traffic.

Fantastic area around Mudgee, We based ourselves there and travelled out to the surrounding towns during the day.

I'm a non drinker now, so visiting all the wineries were out, but there was plenty of history to be seen, the museum at Gulgong was my highlight, the range of stuff and the way it was presented, was brilliant. Some time and work has been put into that museum by the looks, But I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone contemplating a visit, the variety of stuff on show had us in there for a good 3 hours. The town itself has some great historic buildings, my wife, an ex movie designer, said she bet that a film crew had filmed there at some stage in the past and contributed to making some of the buildings and signage correct to the period, she did a did a few herself in small Aussie towns.

Didn't take my phone with me, so don't have any photo's myself, my wife took a squillion of all the old buildings.

So a great escape was had, and will even head back for another short stay in the future, probably with visitors in tow..

• Like 2

On 10/8/2023 at 9:32 PM, BaitDropper said:

Well, had a great few days in Mudgee, wished I could have gone thru Bathurst, but diverted to miss all the race traffic.

Fantastic area around Mudgee, We based ourselves there and travelled out to the surrounding towns during the day.

I'm a non drinker now, so visiting all the wineries were out, but there was plenty of history to be seen, the museum at Gulgong was my highlight, the range of stuff and the way it was presented, was brilliant. Some time and work has been put into that museum by the looks, But I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone contemplating a visit, the variety of stuff on show had us in there for a good 3 hours. The town itself has some great historic buildings, my wife, an ex movie designer, said she bet that a film crew had filmed there at some stage in the past and contributed to making some of the buildings and signage correct to the period, she did a did a few herself in small Aussie towns.

Didn't take my phone with me, so don't have any photo's myself, my wife took a squillion of all the old buildings.

So a great escape was had, and will even head back for another short stay in the future, probably with visitors in tow..

Gulgong is a place I have been to many times. It featured on the old $10 note and is a major centre for wood-fired ceramics and used to produce some of the finest porcelain clay found in Australia, at nearby Ulan. Interestingly, the clay was found on top of an open-cut coal seam. Now the clay has been mined out but the area is still a popular tourist spot in the Central West of NSW.

bn

• Like 1