Batemans bay trip

Jo5hC

Hi all, went down to Batemans Bay for a couple of days.  

Day 1: arrived in the late afternoon, so was able to get out for a fish on the breakwall. No fish for the evening unfortunately, but there seemed to be a lot of jellyfish around.

Day 2: went out in the morning, and walked around the point next to the oyster shed. Managed a small flathead and bream, and also saw a ton of small stingrays cruising about. After that went out to the wharves. The current was really strong, but managed to pull an undersize trevally. Later in the day, went back to the pontoon, and tried dropping my cranka crab next to the pylons. While I was doing so, the biggest octopus I had ever seen came up on the pontoon wall, chasing some of the crabs that were hiding there. I got one take on the crab but unfortunately missed it. No other fish for the day.

Day 3: Wanted to try fishing the rocks, so in the morning went out to the Broulee Head rock ledge. Started casting out a stickbait for about 10 minutes, could not get any takers, then switched to bait. Managed to get a just undersized trevally. We were plagued by small reef fish and whatnot. Did catch some yakkas which we live baited for no success, as well as a pike/snook (still can't tell the difference) which we used for cutbait. Saw a single dolphin swimming across the beach which was quite cool. Also spotted a pretty big bright blue fish swimming out from the rocks under our feet, which I presume was a blue groper. 

Day 4: Got to try some fresh oysters at the oyster shed and also had a quick flick around there, resulted in no fish unfortunately. Got to fish again when we pit-stopped on the way back at Kiama. Tried dropping the cranka crab around the harbour. I was just about to take the crab out of the water when a wrasse grabbed it and dashed strait into the kelp. I really thought that was $25 down the drain, but after keeping slack line for a couple of minutes, It eventually swam out and I was able to pull it up. Also saw some huge stingrays about.

Overall, the fishing wasn't the best, but It was still pretty fun, and the scenery of the south coast definitely made up for it.

IMG_1685.jpg

IMG_3152.jpg

• Like 11

Always good to have a holiday fish Josh, even though it can be tricky to time your fishing right and suss out unfamiliar waters. You found a few fish, which makes it all worthwhile. Well done.

I lost my first cranka to an unstoppable fish, on my very first cast with it. A tear was certainly shed upon its loss! I've only got one more fish on the cranka since, too scared to cast it anywhere which renders it practically useless!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A pleasing report Josh, even though you would have wished for more action. Generally speaking, I think that fishing any new environment in coastal regions can be approached with optimism. We are fortunate to have plenty of fish species in our estuary and coastal environments. Of course, familiarity helps, but we can usually have a good chance of catching something, as you did. Well done.

bn

• Like 1