MUST READ - Prediction for Sydney off shore this Summer - important research.

Pickles

I was out on the harbour a week ago and noticed the marine “RV Investigator” (Research Vessel Investigator) heading out through the heads. Tracking it online, there is an  interesting prediction for  this summer off shore.

“But as we head into summer, the mega eddy is unlikely to go anywhere. If it moves towards the coast, where marine life is concentrated, we will see water temperatures spike – and possibly, underwater disaster for many species.”

https://theconversation.com/a-monster-eddy-current-is-spinning-into-existence-off-the-coast-of-sydney-will-it-bring-a-new-marine-heatwave-216625

IMG_1212.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Spelling
  • Like 1

Quite a few years ago we had very “hot” water, one day fishing the Banks off Nowra, the water was 28 degrees, lots of big Tuna, but they refused to bite, why? I have no idea, but the rod and reel pros didn’t catch a single fish for weeks. Northern tropical species were caught often, Spotted Mackeral were caught off Bass Point every day, a big Spanish was caught off the rocks. Who knows what the warm water will do or which way it moves.

1 minute ago, BaitDropper said:

Good thing ? or a bad thing ?

Bad for cold water species like local corals, invertebrates ect. Microorganisms tend to bloom when things warm up too. Not to mention the warm water offshore will most likely bring thunderstorms and rains.

But we may also see more pelagic species like mackerel, wahoo ect come further south this season.

So it's kind of a bitter sweet in a way.

With all the climate talk and everything and how our weather is changing or at the least fluctuating, I guess it's where and how we are heading now.

It sounds like this season/year, we can expect more unusual happenings with regard to the weather.

I just want the dam wind to stop, happy to catch any species in all honesty 😃.

But Yes, it is alarming all the same.