Gremlin

BaitDropper

Well, I'm calling it a gremlin of sorts...

I rewired the boat myself during the rebuild, had an auto electrician check over everything during and after, so fairly confident all things are done Ok..

However,

This dam gremlin keeps appearing. As soon as I switch the batteries on down back, my FM radio turns on automatically !!!..I mean, surely this isn't normal ?

I go straight to the radio on off ( push button) and switch it off. Now I noticed the other day, this didn't happen, but all other times it will.

It's got me baffled and thinking it's a radio issue, not the wiring itself, as once the battery switch is switched on, it feeds all accessories, every accessory runs thru a fuse box, or thru the main dash switch panel, ( all fused ). My marine radio does not do this, just my FM radio..  Probably not worth worrying about in all honesty, but there seem to be times that I'm idle and the whole idea of why keeps tormenting this simple mind of mine, thoughts anyone ??

1 hour ago, xerotao said:

Maybe your switched wire is wired up to the 12v constant? Directly to battery?

That's the funny thing Xero, Nope, wired like all other accessories, not direct off battery, and not constant either  but even if it did, it shouldn't actually switch the radio on once power was turned on from the batteries ??..   It's wired like all the other accessories, feed off a fused box behind dash.  

I'll have to sit in there and properly Suss it out, I'm picking it's a faulty on/off switch on the actual radio, Dunno..

Only issue with it, is if I have had the radio on while tinkering in the boat, maybe listening to a bit of Mick Jagger on full volume 🙂, and don't wind back the volume before switching it off at the radio, next time up, simply switching batteries on down back, is met with a huge noise !!!  Last time it was John Denver !!!    very embarrassing..

• Haha 1

You may have hooked the main 12v line and the ignition or auxiliary wires all together . Radios usually have a wire that has to stay live to keep the memory active and part of that is remembering what state the radio was in when the ignition was turned off - simple fix is a switch on the dash to turn it on when needed .

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, XD351 said:

You may have hooked the main 12v line and the ignition or auxiliary wires all together . Radios usually have a wire that has to stay live to keep the memory active and part of that is remembering what state the radio was in when the ignition was turned off - simple fix is a switch on the dash to turn it on when needed .

That was what i was trying to explain.

You definitely worded it better

Hmm, Ok,  I'll sit myself in the cuddy cabin in the next few days and have a look at exactly what and how I did it.

Basically, from the Pos & Neg Buzz bars up front inside cabin, I wired to a fuse box type set up which is fused, from there I went to accessories, which have switches to turn power on, ie, radio, VHF radio, Then to USB and Cig lighter, from my memory, plus a separate dash fused switch panel for lighting, bilge, deck wash etc etc.

Now, I'm not sure what wiring was done when the new motor was fitted, they did that, but they wouldn't have feed into the main cables I used to power up front, they would have run new ones.

Actually, come to think of it, I drew a schematic of the wiring, which is stored somewhere in the boat, I'll look for that. But the radio definitely isn't on any direct feed, once battery switch is turned off down back, no power goes forward..

I shall investigate..  Cheers

Edited by BaitDropper
spelling
  • Thanks 1