Learning How to Cast Efficiently and Effectively - Thanks to DerekD

I retired 2 ½ years ago and decided to return to a passion of my almost forgotten youth - fishing. Lots have changed in the 40 odd years where I did very little line wetting and I have enjoyed the learning process of coming to grips with modern gear and methods.  I bought my first ever boat with a mate (Quintrex 430 Fishabout) to fish around Middle Harbour and Sydney Harbour .  I have been learning where to fish through a lot of trial and error, some Harbour charters to see how the pro's do it  and, in my case, a lot of reading of posts in Fishraider and watching Youtube.

My fishing has been with predominantly with bait for bream and flathead/flounder - although some squid jigging (not very successful) and experimenting with soft plastics for flathead. I really like the idea of lure and soft plastic fishing as it is active rather than passive fishing. I love the feel and sensitivity of light gear as well as the fun in fighting something on it with some size or strength (like salmon).

I had read with a lot of interest the posts by DerekD and was so impressed by all the mentoring he has done over the years, but was too hesitant to reach out to him or other Fishraiders for advice or mentoring (I have also been hesitant/embarrassed to date about posting my often poor fishing results). Then fate stepped in to help.  I was at McMahon's Point ferry wharf on the weekend and noticed two guys with a fishing rod who showed up and stood not far away. It was clear from what I could overhear that there was a very serious lesson going on about casting and then working a lure. I was stunned at how effortless it was made to look, as well as the distance being cast. I thought that this might be DerekD in action (I have often seen his photo with his posts), but was too polite to go up and interrupt to ask him. I did, however, move closer and listen in until my ferry came. 

The next day I bit the bullet and send a message to Derek D, asking if that was him and, if it was,  apologising for listening in to his mentoring session with another fisherman. Turns out I was right as it was him and I received the warmest reply.  Two days later found me in Mosman Bay under Derek's watchful eye learning the science of efficient casting. What an eye opener it was - gentle tuition and following his examples saw the smoothness and accuracy of my casting improve very rapidly and the distance probably doubled. Doing it the right way every time and the results are just so satisfying and practice will hopefully ensure that the lessons are properly imprinted so I can become put my lure where I want it!

That was the easy part of the afternoon - as Derek then shifted location so I could start to learn how to work a surface lures like sugapens, splash prawns and bent minnows. That is the really hard part and I know that I have a lot of work ahead to do to get the hang of it. But I left there impressed not only by how much Derek knows and can impart regarding what actions work  best on the different lures but also with how much fun this type of fishing looked like it could be. Before we finished up he also showed me how to work a vibe I had and whilst "tea bagging" to get used to the feel I managed to catch a small tailor. It kindly released itself without me having to get my fingers anywhere near its teeth! But it was my first fish on something other than a soft plastic.

I left with plenty of homework to do - especially on how to work the Sugarpen.

I know that this isn't much of a fishing report, but I really want to thank Derek for giving up his time to help someone like me. Its is this helpfulness to others that to me makes Fishraider so valuable. It is one thing to look at a video on Youtube but one-on-one mentoring takes it to a whole new world of learning.

I promise to let you know how I go with my journey into lure fishing.
Cheers
Rob 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Great post @Robbo from Sydney and well done to @DerekD!

Do post your experiences no matter how humble the results. I only posted a report this morning with two piddly undersized flathead this morning, but there is always more to the story as you might read…

Thanks Little Flatty. I always read your posts with interest

• Like 2

Hi @Robbo from Sydney

Firstly, it has been a pleasure talking to and then meeting you. It is people like you with a hunger to grow their fishing skills and the commitment to put into practice what they learn which makes mentoring so worthwhile.

I enjoyed seeing the awakening and resulting smile on your face as concepts that you probably knew intuitively clicked into place.

Probably one of my favourite moments was how blown away you were when you saw me tie a lure on. While this is probably a "you had to be there moment" I'll see if I can enlighten others and especially those who use a half blood knot or locked half blood knot to tie on their terminal tackle. I don't like having to re-tie leaders. It is not to say I'm not good at it or that I don't take care and pride in making a well tied leader knot but I do it because I need to and not because I want to. The locked half blood knot is the first fishing knot I ever learned and I used it for a few decades. Somewhere along the way (when I got into lures) I learned the Uni (Universal - it can be tied on all line classes) knot and the Uni to Uni knot. I then had two epiphanies about the uni knot which changed my fishing in both a small and huge way. Firstly, it is a sliding knot which means I can drop the lure out of the way while tying the knot then slide it into place. This avoids the hooks in the hands issue when working with trebles. When using the locked half blood knot the obvious way to tighten and cinch it down is to pull the long tag end. When done you are cutting off 3 to 5cm of line which comes off your overall leader length. When I tie a Uni knot I keep the loop small and specifically the tag short but then pinch the tag end and cinch it up from below (terminal tackle end). I've learned how to consistently get a tag of about 10mm length which DOES NOT NEED TRIMMING. This means I have to tie a leader three times less often than people using a locked half blood knot.

Something to think about. I'll probably have to do a video on this.

Looking forward to seeing your growth over the coming months.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DerekD said:

Hi @Robbo from Sydney

Firstly, it has been a pleasure talking to and then meeting you. It is people like you with a hunger to grow their fishing skills and the commitment to put into practice what they learn which makes mentoring so worthwhile.

I enjoyed seeing the awakening and resulting smile on your face as concepts that you probably knew intuitively clicked into place.

Probably one of my favourite moments was how blown away you were when you saw me tie a lure on. While this is probably a "you had to be there moment" I'll see if I can enlighten others and especially those who use a half blood knot or locked half blood knot to tie on their terminal tackle. I don't like having to re-tie leaders. It is not to say I'm not good at it or that I don't take care and pride in making a well tied leader knot but I do it because I need to and not because I want to. The locked half blood knot is the first fishing knot I ever learned and I used it for a few decades. Somewhere along the way (when I got into lures) I learned the Uni (Universal - it can be tied on all line classes) knot and the Uni to Uni knot. I then had two epiphanies about the uni knot which changed my fishing in both a small and huge way. Firstly, it is a sliding knot which means I can drop the lure out of the way while tying the knot then slide it into place. This avoids the hooks in the hands issue when working with trebles. When using the locked half blood knot the obvious way to tighten and cinch it down is to pull the long tag end. When done you are cutting off 3 to 5cm of line which comes off your overall leader length. When I tie a Uni knot I keep the loop and specifically the tag short but then pinch the tag end and cinch it up from below (terminal tackle end). I've learned how to consistently get a tag of about 10mm length which DOES NOT NEED TRIMMING. This means I have to tie a leader three times less often than people using a locked half blood knot.

Something to think about. I'll probably have to do a video on this.

Looking forward to seeing your growth over the coming months.

Regards,

Derek

Derek you are quite right about the knot blowing me away - it is simplicity in tying  as well as economical on the leader. Especially with short leaders reducing the waste when tying terminal tackle is essential - so this is brilliant.  I also like the way of tying an FG that you sent me the Youtube link to 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed reading your initial post Rob. It reminded me of a time when I was down at the ferry terminal with Derek, fishing, (and learning), when a guy standing nearby became involved in the rapport and ended up as one of Dereks' students. His name was Ryan and he has become a very accomplished angler as a result of that encounter.

The Uni knot is indeed a very valuable tool in the angler's repertoire. I always remember Swordie saying it was the only knot anglers needed to learn to tie.

QUOTE...
I know that this isn't much of a fishing report, but I really want to thank Derek for giving up his time to help someone like me. Its is this helpfulness to others that to me makes Fishraider so valuable. It is one thing to look at a video on Youtube but one-on-one mentoring takes it to a whole new world of learning.

I singled out the above section of your post Rob because it emphasises my thoughts on the invaluable benefits that Fishraider offers. You are now on your angling journey and I look forward to seeing how you get on as you learn and practice all the newly found techniques that abound in the modern days of angling.

Good luck Rob, I look forward to reading your progress reports.

bn

• Like 2