Went fishing

big Neil

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

went fishing...caught some fish!

bn

So that was a bit of media experimentation prior to getting some photos edited.

I had my American friend Larry here last week, supposedly for 4 nights but ended up with us only getting one session of fishing completed. That was at Darlington Point where there's a fabulous new boat ramp and pontoon. The conditions were ideal and I caught 3 Cod to 78cm. Larry managed quite a few Carp and a small Murray Crayfish.

I fished from the bank at Euroley when the ramp was full of mud, and caught a couple of Cod and Carp. 

Had a recce trip to Narrandera to check the conditions and fished from the bank whilst there. Several Carp and the tiniest, beautifully marked Murray Cod came into the net. I ascertained that it was ok to launch the tinny so I headed there this morning. I had a lovely morning fishing as I sought to keep out of the hot sun. 6 Cod and 5 Carp kept the numbers rolling over. So far, since Cod opening I have been out fishing 6 times and caught 21 Cod, the biggest being 78cms. 14 Carp from the river too. Lost a cracking Cod today when I couldn't get it loose from a snag and ended up breaking the line. Here are some photos from the various sessions, in no particular order...

My American mate Larry... Then some scenery photos, and a few of the fish caught.

P1020161rs.jpg.08afe8eebde0eba1ce09c034152a2044.jpg

P1020146rs.jpg.6c71532fa00eb0297f3918f6d0c6a03f.jpg

P1020135rs.jpg.9efae05ca3beec9454be4001cc2a5fbb.jpg

P1020132rs.jpg.b9d7987c944693a1cde3eb08653a34f9.jpg

P1020141rs.jpg.c7ea64e41a58b656e93ed3d16c2c0b9a.jpg

P1020142rs.jpg.d380d53b8fe63d1fb93b4abe74c68c4d.jpg

P1020176rs.jpg.159fd2f166898b3c13b528094334f245.jpg

P1020175rs.jpg.316f8d8733bc621c77950efe28b2683b.jpg

P1020133rs.jpg.baa6306279b7706f1e9d62ca8982a756.jpg

P1020170rs.jpg.73699cd40ce11d06fb5e6d150b3b6147.jpg

Thanks for reading the post, bn

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Looks like an awesome day with your mate @big Neil

Thank you for all your posts, words of wisdom etc as it has really inspired me now I’m back in “Cods Country”

The heat has been full on but you can’t beat a nice day down the river.

Many thanks for your kind words Max Power. What area do you seek the Cod in? I'm finding a lot more Carp this season than previously. Do you get many Carp where you fish?

Been a very hot start to the season, weather-wise. Previous times I would have gone in for a cooling dip. Not these days though, I'm too decrepit.

bn

Edited by big Neil
more info
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, big Neil said:

Many thanks for your kind words Max Power. What area do you seek the Cod in? I'm finding a lot more Carp this season than previously. Do you get many Carp where you fish?

Been a very hot start to the season, weather-wise. Previous times I would have gone in for a cooling dip. Not these days though, I'm too decrepit.

bn

I’m in the Dubbo area mate and I haven’t spent long enough on the river since coming back to really determine if there a heaps about.

I certainly saw a few on the couple of days that I have wet a line so I’m sure there are probably heaps of them around.

Certainly has been a hot start and I’m sorry to hear that you are unable to go for a swim but at least you are still able to get out and have a fish.

Take care and hope to see some more cod pics soon!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

I’m in the Dubbo area mate and I haven’t spent long enough on the river since coming back to really determine if there a heaps about.

I certainly saw a few on the couple of days that I have wet a line so I’m sure there are probably heaps of them around.

Certainly has been a hot start and I’m sorry to hear that you are unable to go for a swim but at least you are still able to get out and have a fish.

Take care and hope to see some more cod pics soon!

I have some family relos at Wellington, though soon heading to Orange.  bn

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Great fish and pics @big Neil. Always good to get out and bag a few with a mate.

I couldn’t help but notice the cube of cheese on your paternoster rig. When I was a kid I’d often fish with an old fella who was a mighty good bream fisherman and he always used Kraft cheddar for bait.

Thanks for that info GH. Never heard of cheese being used to catch Bream,,,or any marine species for that matter. I shouldn't be surprised though, many fish are caught on bread, and that's hardly a natural bait either. I think the cheese oozes fats from itself as it changes colour slightly after being in the water for a while. I usually set up with a double paternoster rig on each rod, allowing me to test 4 different baits and get an idea of what they are feeding on. These get snagged up quite easily so once I have the info of what they prefer, I usually swap back to a running sinker rig to the hook or sometimes to a swivel. Only exception to that is if I'm using live bait. These are best fished on the paternoster rig. keeping them off the bottom where they can hide.

bn

• Like 2