New to Crabbing.

AFT Fishing

Hi members,

I'm new in this forum and I'm happy to see members in this site helping others.

I have never done it before but I am keen to know where would a good land based spot in the Central Coast be for catching both the Mud an Blue Swimmer Crabs. I will be land based and I am aware that the use of crab pots and traps is banned in Brisbane Waters and its tributaries, so the use of a hand line with hook is what is allowed to catch them.

I don't want peoples spot X, just an area where I could go to where I'm in for a good chance of catching Crabs. I can catch Mullet in the bucket loads for bait so that wont be an issue. Catching Mulloway over a metre has never been a problem for me but crabbing is something new to me and would love to give that a crack.

Your guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

No idea about your specific location, but…..crabbing with hand lines/rods is reasonably productive, I do it regularly, first off, use an old fish frame for bait, just tied to the line, no hook needed, look for an area with a bit of weed around, just cast out and wait, crabs just kind of “pick up” the bait and the line goes tight, pull in slowly, you will need some kind of landing net, because they will just let go when close in. Mud crabs might be a bit difficult, not impossible, but pretty rare. Best bait I have found (not that it makes a big difference) is Whiting frames, Blackfish frames, then Flathead and Mullet in that order. You will need some ice in an esky to keep them once caught, once a crab dies, the flesh deteriorates quickly if not chilled, leaving them in a bucket of water, dead in the sun, is not the way to keep them (or any fish)

• Like 3

OK, so from the shore, most of those jetties around the lake will be OK, a trap (check legal requirements) tossed out while fishing with a line might get a few. The lake is pretty much the same all over, Tallawarra would be worth a go too, easy to get to and even if you wade out with a trap then fish near it, do not leave the trap unsighted, it will be stolen in no time! Using a trap is not a five minute affair, it needs to be “set” for a long time, so, best get there early, take it out, then come back and fish, maybe a family picnic? Oak Flats boat ramp/jetty has always got traps around, that’s where I launch, a canoe or kayak would be a bonus.

Great topic @AFT Fishing, I actually just bought my first pots earlier this week thinking it might be worth a crack during the wilder winds this week.

My question for those who use pots is how you transport them. I presume they’re filthy coming out of the mud and my wife would have a fit at me dumping it in the car….do folks use tarps or bags or what? All the videos I see have folks just chucking them in the back of a Ute which is a luxury I don’t have !

1 hour ago, Mike Sydney said:

Great topic @AFT Fishing, I actually just bought my first pots earlier this week thinking it might be worth a crack during the wilder winds this week.

My question for those who use pots is how you transport them. I presume they’re filthy coming out of the mud and my wife would have a fit at me dumping it in the car….do folks use tarps or bags or what? All the videos I see have folks just chucking them in the back of a Ute which is a luxury I don’t have !

Give them a good wash before going home, you can buy custom bags to put them in, but I would just buy some extra large garbage bags if they fit maybe? I’m sure there’s a way to protect your car with a minimum effort and a bit of thought.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike Sydney said:

Go to Bunnings and get yourself one or two of these to line the car.

Ultimate Flooring PVC BBQ Mat, it's only $16. I have 2 in my car, my wife's car has one, mother in law has one. You get the idea.

When you're done fishing take them out and give them a quick rinse.

695990ec-7c60-43d4-9726-eaff2c78215a.jpeg

• Like 1

Ended up buying a cheap container from Bunnings - went and chucked my pot out for the first time this afternoon and sat nearby.

Less than 20 minutes later a bloke walking the banks starts pulling it out….some choice words for him, is it always this bad? 😂

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mike Sydney said:

Ended up buying a cheap container from Bunnings - went and chucked my pot out for the first time this afternoon and sat nearby.

Less than 20 minutes later a bloke walking the banks starts pulling it out….some choice words for him, is it always this bad? 😂

Wow, goes to show how desperate people can be. I know would I would’ve said.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Sydney said:

Yep, that’s why I said to keep an eye on your gear, chances are another 20mins and it would have been gone! No idea why people have to be like that.

• Like 1