Live bait conundrum

faker

Faker,  there's an old saying that I was told once, the fish doesn't know what rod or reel you have in hand !!

I have about 7-8 working rods, thinned out over the last few years. Yes, my rollered heavier stuff probably only has one use, trolling out the back. But the rest of my rods, vary from Jig rods to ugly sticks and they get used for everything.  I have a large Ugly stick for flicking lures, stickbaits etc but my jig type rods are used for a multitude of purposes, including a bit of lighter trolling. Yep, there are some U-bute specific rods that the sales man will tell you what they are for, but in all honesty, my group of rods just about cover all bases and certainly aren't what the salesman sais there for.

When I try a different type of fishing, I'll use my standard gear, if I really get into it and know I'm going to spend a lot of time doing that type of fishing, I may go and spend the coin on a for purpose rod or reel. An example of that, was I bought myself a specific rod for whiting fishing when I was down in Victoria, I chased them, my favorite eating fish of the time. Off the rocks, I couldn't help you there, but for the boat, use what you've got, if it becomes a regular event, look at something more specific then. I live bait out wide with my Japanese Jig rod, I believe it's rated 20-50 kg, Cant exactly remember, but it works a treat and has plenty of other uses as well.

Maybe I'm just a tight arse, I dunno 😁, but give it a go with what ya got first...

Edited by BaitDropper
  • Like 2