Fishing near Orange, NSW

big Neil

Howdy folks. I will be headed to Orange on 29th Dec. Does anyone have info on fishing in that area? Nothing elaborate just fishing land-based with young grandkid. I will take some bait and some soft plastics as there may be some Redfin around.

Cheers, bn

Neil. My favorite haunt up that way is Ophir reserve on the lower Lewis creek . Great yabbying at the 4th crossing on ophir rd on the way to Ophir, you may see Platypus fossicking about if you just sit and be quiet at the crossing. You can catch Trout and redfin at Ophir some good walking trails and an old gold mine that the kids would enjoy take suitable lighting as it gets dark very quickly in the mine.

Great place to take kids with lots of trails and interesting things to explore.

I will try and send you some detailed maps of where to go.

Is your new COW 4x4 by any chance ? 

Frank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

G’day Neil, I fished Gosling creek reservoir/dam early one morning at Christmas about 5 years ago from my packraft and got a small cod and a redfin or two. From memory there is a small wharf (fishing platform?) around one side. Could be worth a look as well.
cheers,

Gus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Neil. My favorite haunt up that way is Ophir reserve on the lower Lewis creek . Great yabbying at the 4th crossing on ophir rd on the way to Ophir, you may see Platypus fossicking about if you just sit and be quiet at the crossing. You can catch Trout and redfin at Ophir some good walking trails and an old gold mine that the kids would enjoy take suitable lighting as it gets dark very quickly in the mine.

Great place to take kids with lots of trails and interesting things to explore.

I will try and send you some detailed maps of where to go.

Is your new COW 4x4 by any chance ? 

Frank

Thanks for the information Frank. I will have a wee look on my map where Ophir is, relative to Orange. No the new COW is only front wheel drive. Couldn't afford a 4WD new and didn;t want a second hand vehicle at my stage of life. Not going to Orange for another week so if you can give any other info, it will be much appreciated.

Many thanks, bn

Thanks for the advice folks, it appears there are lots of small creeks in the vicinity that should be fairly accessible. Good chance they may hold Redfin, Trout, Bass. Time to sort some suitable gear cos I haven't fished for those species for quite some time.

Once again many thanks, bn