Swansea land based

Jo5hC

This was from a couple days ago but due to Christmas and other stuff only posting this report now. My family headed out to Pelican Foreshore for a fish with a mate and his family for a pretty chill session. The fishing was pretty quiet until the tide change where were able to get 3 legal tarwhine and a leatherjacket. After that we went down to the small beach area and I caught a small flounder and sergeant baker. My mate also hooked a small tarwhine and then hooked an octopus that was trying to eat his fish!

Then the bite kinda shut down again and we decided to try for squid off the rock points with no success. Did see a leatherjacket literally right in front of us which I tried for 5 minutes trying to catch it then by some miracle it just swam right up to us and I just scooped it up in the net.

While we were packing up, I just had a line out and I looked up and saw something get smashed on the surface. It was only one bust up but seemed quite big, so hoping it was a kingfish I quickly set up my stickbait rod and was casting for around 20 minutes but apart from that first bust up there was no more surface action so just packed up and went home. At least was able to get a feed with the tarwhine and leatherjacket.

No pictures sorry.

• Like 5

It’s always good to get out @Jo5hC. Squidding can be very frustrating - some days you can get 10-20 in an hour. Other days it takes hours to get one, or even none at all.

Letherjacket can be the same and will nip the bait (and the hooks off the line) so gently, you can hardly feel them Small hooks (4-8) and light lines (under 12lb) is the go in estuaries.

• Like 1