Stonker George's River new Year Bream

Wishing all raiders a happy new Year.  I was out chasing mullet with the kids and managed this old fella of a bream, 38cm. 

Not a bad way to open the account for the year. I hope everyone has a great summer of fishing!

Fish was released to torment the local mullet population!

PXL_20240101_002904553_exported_1704096732170.jpg

PXL_20240101_002825253.jpg

Edited by kantong
  • Like 13

A good sized fish. Bream like that are stalking the shallows all the time, looking for an easy feed. Occasionaly take a bait with a hook in it.

• Like 1

That's a beast @kantong! Was it the kids or your fish?

It just cements why fishing with bread baits is still one of my very favourite things to do. It's so darn effective because fish love it, yet, achieving a good hookup at times is tricky enough to make it fun (given the softness of the bait). As you have proven, quality fish will eat it!

On another note, your daughter is like my youngest. Thinks nothing of rocking a ballet dress and a handbag to go fishing. There's one thing I agree with her on; I think us khaki Columbia shirt warriors need to mix it up every now and again!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 8:29 PM, Little_Flatty said:

That's a beast @kantong! Was it the kids or your fish?

It just cements why fishing with bread baits is still one of my very favourite things to do. It's so darn effective because fish love it, yet, achieving a good hookup at times is tricky enough to make it fun (given the softness of the bait). As you have proven, quality fish will eat it!

On another note, your daughter is like my youngest. Thinks nothing of rocking a ballet dress and a handbag to go fishing. There's one thing I agree with her on; I think us khaki Columbia shirt warriors need to mix it up every now and again!

Thanks @Little_Flatty! a great way to pass time when the fishing are biting! It sounds like our daughters are the little fashionistas in the family. A splash of pink goes a long to catching a good flattie (so I've heard)

On 1/1/2024 at 7:42 PM, Yowie said:

A good sized fish. Bream like that are stalking the shallows all the time, looking for an easy feed. Occasionaly take a bait with a hook in it.

Thanks @Yowie, I may have had a bit of luck on my side for this one!

On 1/2/2024 at 6:58 AM, bessell1955 said:

Great Bream.

Thanks @bessell1955, a great little tussle

On 1/2/2024 at 7:50 AM, Green Hornet said:

Real nice fish @kantong. Looks like it’s been well upstream for quite some time, judging by the colour.

Another great bycatch on the bread.

Thanks @Green Hornet, yes it was quite a dark bream. I'm surprised by the size of this fish in this part of the river, usually this is where the smaller bream hang out.

• Like 1