Drivers foot room in smaller boats?

OZrevhead

Guys, I sat in a 4.6m boat the other day with a view to buying it and I was surprised to find my right foot up the side of the hull, how is it that a boat that size has no place for the drivers right foot .... looklng into it more I see its very common but why? I know they lower the front floor which makes the front floor narrower so what do you guys do with your right foot? Put it behind your left foot? Sit with both legs facing towards the centre of the boat?

Dont flame me please, Im 6'1 and this is a legit question. I don't want to buy a bigger boat or a bow rider just to be comfortable while driving.

Example pic from the net (sorry if its your boat, no harm intended)

boat.seating.JPG

That’s just how small boats are, most don’t see that when it’s sitting in the showroom, way back I bought a little runabout (13’ Easyrider) with the seats as they were, you practically  had to fold your legs up, or cross them.

You wouldn't buy a car with that issue, nor would the manufacturer expect you to. Boats always get different considerations, probably because they are used less frequently than cars.

It's easy to see why it is configured that way...the boat is too narrow across the beam to have 2 seats and a space between them. Doubt you will find something comfortable in that size range of boat.  bn

Personally i would find that boat would feel very unsafe to me-I drive standing up-except when at trolling speed -i look at the driving position of lots of these boats and cant imagine the visibility is good at all-plus landing a tinny on a decent wave while sitting near the front-my back winces at the thought!!

My first boat was a 13ft 6 Haines variant with those back to back seats, Same problem, I would basically sit on the back rest of the seats to get up higher to have more leg room. You'd be sandwiched in there like a Sardine. Seems the seats they put in now are no better for someone of above average height or size, which can and does make the experience very frustrating, so definitely no Flaming here with your question.

Now with my current boat, I rarely even sit, have one of those bolster seats with a flick up bottom so it can be used as a support to lean on, which is what I do 90% of the time.

If that's the size of boat your looking at, I suspect you will have that issue regardless, BUT I'd be looking at modifying what ever you bought, I'd be flicking that pedestal and setting up something more comfortable and practical so you can at least be comfortable while motoring. There will be a solution, for sure and its an unfortunate thing we boat owners experience and have to go thru no matter what type of boat we buy. They sure do look pristine sitting in the show room, but in practice, not so much.

I fished with a mate, that wasn't a tight turning circle, he tipped the scales at around 140kg and could barely squeeze his XXXX into the shocking bucket seat that cruise craft supplied as standard, THEN, when he eventually managed too, I would see the floor actually moving as we travelled at the base of the stupid pedestal 😁, of course I never ever mentioned anything at the time,  when I finally did the rebuild on the boat, the 8mm Masonite floor was found and the reason for all the movement. It was still alarming to see it.

Maybe, you allow for ripping out the drivers side Pedestal and fitting up a half type fiberglass seat box, ( also good for internal storage ) ,, Position it for your leg length, along with allowing for fitting a better seat higher, which will also help with overall leg room ??  Just an Idea !!  Will of course depend on the actual boat you end up buying, but there's a solution for everything I believe, or at least one that will improve your experience.

Thats how they are designed mate.The lower now narrows there where you sit or stand.

My 4.2 runabout is the same .

This is me sitting in it in garage how I drive and stand with no issues at all even in rough inshore waters.I got rid of my Factory seat pedestals years ago and bought new ones and moved front seats back a few inches as the front edge of the seat with the original seat posts would hit me behind the calf when standing.(I was cramped between seat and steering wheel).

Small boat to begin with in runabout configuration doesn’t leave much room. A side console/centre console would have flat floor under your feet.

IMG_1854.jpeg

IMG_1855.jpeg

IMG_1856.jpeg

Boats involve compromise.  The smaller boat, the more compromise is necessary, in order to find space.  The boact pictured has the seats right at the point where the boat starts to narrow, and that is to maximise deck space behind the seats.  The smaller the starting boat, the bigger the improvement - if that is the word - when moving up to a bigger boat.  My previous boat was 4.9 metres.  30 cm longer than the boat you are talking about.  It had seats on raised pedestals, so leg room was not an issue.  But that boat's compromise was that it was a cuddy cabin, with a small cabin that wasn't big enough for two people to overnight, and at 5'7" I am more of a fun size than your 6'1".  

The other thing with boat size, is that as they get longer, they also get wider and roomier.

Enjoy your search!

As fab said a side console would have flat floor for both your feet.

Even in a 18 footer with back to back seats I couldn't stand up to drive and had to sit on the top of the backrest to sit and drive.

pride6.JPG.28762e0fef10757abd4ca11d8457ff21.JPG

Didn't take me long and I made a tackle locket wit seat on top. Much more practical .

seatconversion.thumb.jpg.7fdbb808a0a760196ccf613e01515bc0.jpg

I left the Port side back to back seats in as they are extremely comfortable for 2 passengers.

Frank

Edited by frankS
added photo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey boys, thanks for your replies :)

I have seen a Quintrex 455 with a level front floor and more foot room but most have the lower floor, does anyone know if this was an option? Or did some models come like this?

Otherwise yes I would need a side console or a bow rider as both have their driving position further back and thus have more foot room.

So, Im still looking.

Cheers

Here is a Quintrex 4.75 Bay Hunter Caprice with a level floor, not all of them have this but this one does:

Its nearly identical to the first pic I posted except for the higher front floor.

boat.seating.2.JPG

I'll sell you a Savage Scorpion 485sf with a flat floor for probably less than you are looking to pay.

2002 model with 2005 90 hp Etec motor just been serviced with 354 hours on the clock all registered and ready to take fishing will even throw in a couple of rods and reels of your choice.

Contact me if you are interested.

scorpion2.jpg.71f639afc9574375e5fa626c38769abc.jpg

scorpioncropped.thumb.jpg.d80906badd6aa1a8218d3100d215aa51.jpg

Frank

• Like 3