Catfish sting

Hey mate!

Sorry to hear if this has happened to you! The remedy I know of is to submerge it in water that is as hot as you can tolerate! Friendly reminder not to burn yourself though!

From memory this also works with red rock cod and bullrout amongst other stingers

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

All fish and stingray stings hot water is the go, as hot as tolerable, 

Fish sting venom is actually the slime which is protein which the heat cooks like an egg white which inactvates it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ahh using a thermos is a great idea, I'll remember that for next time. Also does anyone have any tricks to actually handle catfish without getting stung? I'd like to try eating the next cobbler I catch

3 hours ago, squidjigga said:

Ahh using a thermos is a great idea, I'll remember that for next time. Also does anyone have any tricks to actually handle catfish without getting stung? I'd like to try eating the next cobbler I catch

You can grip them firmly right behind the spines that's how I hold eel tails, a firm grip without hesitation is the key, otherwise lip grips

Otherwise if you're intending on keeping hold mouth with pliers, brain spike, bleed then cut the spines with pliers as they still stingvin the esky

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1