Charter

Went on a fishing charter today with a friend who’d never been fishing before so was pretty excited hoping he’d have a good experience. Last summer I had went on the charter as well and had an excellent day with plenty caught so was hoping for the same if not better. Started off the day with squidding. 2 squid after squidding for 3-4 hours. Not looking good. Since all the charters and fishos on the harbour have networking the guide was constantly making and receiving calls to discuss locations, activity etc: it was a slow day for everyone not just us and the two squid we caught were more than what most others caught. We also had a few yakkas and some dead old squid. Then we decided to move on to kingies. We went near the mouth of the harbour as there was some rat activity and managed to hit a school and get 5 rats almost instantly. They were tiny all around 55cm but still gave a fight. But then the activity just stopped. Eventually me and my friend got quite sea sick as the water was very choppy around there (haven’t found my sea legs yet) and time was also getting up so we decided to go up into middle harbour and keep trying around as we headed back up to Roseville bridge. Nothing. We only had very limited squid and the yakkas were just not working that day so the bait ran out too. A bit of an unsuccessful trip but I guess even if you do  everything right some days just aren’t the best and unfortunately today was one of those. The charter operator tried his best but the fish just didn’t seem to cooperate 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey @Aussie_fisher, thanks for your report, it highlights the fact that bait is a critical component to getting onto the fish and preferences and feeding habits change - someday I like a steak, other days Laksa, other days a zucchini pie (not really).

Also you noted that the charter operators / guides work hard to get their clients onto fish. I am buddies with 4 of the harbour guides (and several of the off shore guides) and often pass on and receive intel from / to them. I know they charge a lot, but their running and maintenance costs, insurances, etc etc certainly ad up and they know the habits and haunts of their target species. But like you so rightly noted “some days just aren’t the best”.

Thanks for sharing - it would have been so easy to be disappointed and “bag out” which you didn’t do 👏👏. Praise to you my friend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Hey @Aussie_fisher, thanks for your report, it highlights the fact that bait is a critical component to getting onto the fish and preferences and feeding habits change - someday I like a steak, other days Laksa, other days a zucchini pie (not really).

Also you noted that the charter operators / guides work hard to get their clients onto fish. I am buddies with 4 of the harbour guides (and several of the off shore guides) and often pass on and receive intel from / to them. I know they charge a lot, but their running and maintenance costs, insurances, etc etc certainly ad up and they know the habits and haunts of their target species. But like you so rightly noted “some days just aren’t the best”.

Thanks for sharing - it would have been so easy to be disappointed and “bag out” which you didn’t do 👏👏. Praise to you my friend.

Thanks for your response @Pickles. Yes they do try hard. He tried his best that’s why it’s not right to just complain that I ‘lost my money’ because he did what he could and it was just out of his control. I guess we went on the charter knowing there’s always a chance of a bad day and you just have to hope it wouldn’t be that day. Based on the tiny bit of experience I do have I can say that there are many external forces apart from just timing and tide (moon, wind, many only the fish know) involved in fishing to some extent so it’s impossible to try go out on a perfect day. I’ve gone fishing at places where I caught a dozen good fish and then the next time I go same time of day same tide there’s not a fish so you shouldn’t be disheartened that you just suck at fishing or the spots crap. That’s my opinion correct me if I’m wrong. I’ve gone on a few charters and I can say usually a day this quiet is definitely not common. . Yes bait is also critical and the kings were extra picky with squid yesterday and the fact we barely had squid wasn’t ideal. Always good to have a bit of variety of baits on hand. My main disappointment was more that my friend didn’t have the best first fishing experience  but he’s still keen so will probably take him out in the coming weeks and hope to catch him something and maybe teach him a few basics