Few beach and Prawning sessions South Coast

After one successful prawning mission I had to get out and amongst it again.

Friday: New moon and prime time for prawns, same spot as the previous night and from 9-1030 landed around 45-50 solid prawns again. A few saved for bait this time and the rest turned into a chilli garlic bbq.

Saturday: Early start and out to the local rocks for a squid. Funnily enough for the 14 years I’ve come to this place I have never caught a squid down here despite being with people catching them and quite literally casting the same jig on the same spot and not catching while my mate was catching. Started out with a natural green colour casting over the weedbeds and after about 1 hour I had managed three small squid but happy with the result. Headed over to the beach to catch the last of the tide and managed a nice bream on a prawn from the previous night

Sunday night: Had heard rumours of lots of prawns being caught around the boat ramps at Sussex so headed out to check the action. Needless to say, the prawns were on! A true prawn run, hundreds and hundreds of school prawns going with the tide to the ocean, just a matter of scooping them up. Within an hour the peop next to us had bagged out we ended up with 7 litres between us. Neighbours requested some so they will be happy 

72696566866__1C3D4ABF-BCC4-48B7-9E7B-79E78892B513.thumb.jpeg.04d8b67678cad791e37c7e38296ac7e4.jpeg

• Like 13

Good going Isaac, when the prawns are thick in the inlet it’s definitely a sight to see. Probably what I miss the most when I lived over the other side.

If you don’t eat the tentacles, those squid heads make a top jew bait off the beach and now is the prime time of the year to chase them.

33 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Good going Isaac, when the prawns are thick in the inlet it’s definitely a sight to see. Probably what I miss the most when I lived over the other side.

If you don’t eat the tentacles, those squid heads make a top jew bait off the beach and now is the prime time of the year to chase them.

Thanks Pete, i have kept the heads but unfortanely have headed off back to Sydney, hopefully the squid heads can be turned into some Jews/snapper/ kings up here 

29 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Nothing wrong with the prawns Issac. Just about every sea critter eats prawns, great for fresh bait, and even better eating.

Thanks Yowie, saved a few for bait and shells for burley