Fuel / Water Seperator - Easterner or original Yamaha?

eitai2001

Hi All.

Looking to get a fuel / water separator for my Yamaha 90HP.

Anyone had any experience with these Easterner fuel filters, part number C14371V-1?

image.thumb.png.987901d22d869fa2f600a25a5a3127ea.png

I was looking at the above, or an original Yamaha - Part number 90798-1M744:

image.png.ddd7c6cd0bd2f1ce915262e2b7fff3bf.png

The price isn't the biggest concern, but all savings count, Easterner around $120 with 2 filters and Yamaha around $160 with 1 filter.

I'm inclined to go Yamaha, but the filters are a lot more pricey $57 each vs $27 each for the Easterner:

I'm all for an original brand for quality, but Easterner seems decent too?

Perhaps the Easterner filter (available readily at some big name boating stores) will fit the Yamaha filters (much less available, have to go to Yamaha dealers).

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Itai

On my boat I went for an aftermarket housing and an Easterner fuel filter.

Slightly different setup, as my boat has a metal canister filter with a clear plastic section that screws onto it.

I would comfortably use the Easterner filter kit.  The lot more pricey Yamaha filter isn't that much more pricey really.  If you're changing a filter once a year, does it really matter whether it's $57 or $27? 

Buy one that’s plastic, not metal because it will corrode and look like crap in no time. The Easterner brand is at best OK, some of their filters are a bit sus, some seem fine, I have used them a couple of times but prefer a known brand.

Thanks Noelm. And yes JustJames, you're right, it's not much different in the grand scheme ... but in boating, it all adds up :P

Also, sometimes the OEM aren't all they're cracked up to be, and charge just because they can. But based on what NOELM is saying, I prefer great to OK, so I'll go Yamy. 
Definitely all plastic though ... agree with those thoughts.

• Like 1

The metal spin on filter with the clear bowl on the bottom are pretty common, but, they tend to be much longer in size and often won’t fit on some boats, but the replacement filter is cheap (Easterner branded) those “all in one” are reasonably small by comparison.

The generic brand is pretty chunky as mentioned. And the fittings are pretty big. Definitely wont fit common 6mm and 8mm hoses let alone 10mm. I use one and have no issues.

only reason why i chose it over a yamaha filter was it is very common to purchase from big name stores locally or even going on a trip.

• Like 1