Offset hooks

faker

Hi all,

So I don't fish offset hooks too often and am somewhat skeptical at their ability to set hooks

Not sure if this will work. Because it has occurred to me that it takes some force on fish to grab and me slamming hook into fish

20240115_122632.jpg

I use them religiously and I can tell you there’s no problem setting hooks. I rig them ‘texposed’ (google it) and they are my go to in snaggy or weedy territory.

Apart from their snag resistance, I also like how I can decouple the weight and the hook and therefore have more options with a small collection of hooks and sinkers.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

I use them religiously and I can tell you there’s no problem setting hooks. I rig them ‘texposed’ (google it) and they are my go to in snaggy or weedy territory.

Apart from their snag resistance, I also like how I can decouple the weight and the hook and therefore have more options with a small collection of hooks and sinkers.

I was thinking of pairing them up with these I got from Taiwan. I have them in various weights one packet each should last me a while 

20240115_142618.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, faker said:

I was thinking of pairing them up with these I got from Taiwan. I have them in various weights one packet each should last me a while 

20240115_142618.jpg

They look the goods @faker. Bit like the TT Snakelockz but more delicate.

Interested to see how you go.

The other thing you can do is get yourself some bullet weights. You just thread it on, leaving it running down to the hook. I picked up a set like this in Forster:

image.png.47b81882d91eb9fc2188fc806bc4b6e5.png

There's also the ball sinker in loop trick, but I feel that these get through weeds and past snags a little easier.

The other thing you can do is find some Mustad O'Shaugnessy hooks (without any kirbing - i.e. bending to the side) in the right size and snap those onto the sinkers you bought (or rig them under your sliding bullet weight). That way you can rig the plastic on the hook like it was on the jighead whilst still being able to vary weights for a given hook.

• Like 1