Ecogear hooking line when casting

faker

My first thought is that it might be a lure working problem rather than a casting issue. I had this issue when I first used blades.

Try toning down your working of the blade, you don’t need to lift the lure 2m off the bottom with each lift. I like to visualise the blade moving 10cm off the bottom when working it but in the water it normally lifts about a foot when I do this.

If it is a casting problem then try to cast smoothly.

Hi @faker

Sorry if I seem slow on the uptake but how do you know it is on the casting? Problem is that once you cast out you have to be able to get to the lure to see if it is fouled up and being in 2 to 10m of water I don't see how it is possible to do so until you wind it back in. Where I am heading to are you sure it is the casting and not the retrieve?

Regardless, if the vibe doesn't seem to be vibrating properly when you start then try one or two slightly more powerful, longer and faster lifts to clear the assist hooks.

When working at back I like a smooth easy lift and then I let in pendulum down. Almost like working teabag but in small hops towards you. I find aggressive working of vibe type lures results in hooks catching. This goes for most vibes.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DerekD said:

When working at back I like a smooth easy lift and then I let in pendulum down. Almost like working teabag but in small hops towards you. I find aggressive working of vibe type lures results in hooks catching. This goes for most vibes.

Come to think of it, that’s probably what I mean when I say to tone down the working of the blade. Smooth and easy lifts, rather than aggressive ones.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi @faker

Sorry if I seem slow on the uptake but how do you know it is on the casting? Problem is that once you cast out you have to be able to get to the lure to see if it is fouled up and being in 2 to 10m of water I don't see how it is possible to do so until you wind it back in. Where I am heading to are you sure it is the casting and not the retrieve?

Regardless, if the vibe doesn't seem to be vibrating properly when you start then try one or two slightly more powerful, longer and faster lifts to clear the assist hooks.

Regards,

Derek

Well after I cast, and try lifting no vibration is a give away. I was pulsing it towards me.

Edited by faker

4 hours ago, faker said:

Well after I cast, and try lifting no vibration is a give away. I was pulsing it towards me.

In that case one or two firm, smooth, slightly longer and semi-fast lifts should clear the hooks. Also at a long distance sometimes the vibration is a little less clear through the line. I'm thinking it might be the angle of lift though. Still puzzling my way through that.

• Like 2