5hp outboard electrcity

wazmond

Hey fellow fishos,

Ive got a Suzuki DF5A, a 5hp 4 stroke outboard, and looking to maybe generate some electricity out of it. Apparantly there was an alternator that was optional, a 12V 5 or 6 amp alternator. Dont have that, but cant really find it online either. Any recommendations to an alternative?
I've got a 3m SIB, and I'd like to be able to go night time fishing etc. Currently have a 12V 7ah battery, looking to power a fish finder (probably a garmin striker 4 or 5cv), anchor light? the white 360* light, possibly some basic lighting (ill have torches but maybe?), and a LED underwater light (not sure whether this is worth it or not, but id like to catch squid and yakkas more consistently).

Thanks 

Have a look at some of the battery powered lights available for kayaks etc - they have their own internal battery which will leave the 7ah battery for the sounder and save you having to run cables . The striker 5cv has a current draw of 1.5amps according to Garmin so don’t expect a 7ah battery to run it for more than 2-3 hours depending on what type of battery it is - SLA or lithium ion. SLA( sealed lead acid ) you only really get around 50% of it as the voltage starts to drop around there and the sounder will sense low voltage and shut off , lithium will give you more of the rated  capacity - closer to 100% before the internal battery management system will shut off - typically around 10 volts and I think you can change the settings on the sounder to either adjust or turn of auto low voltage shut down . 
a few examples of the lights are below- if you want to know where they are from let me know and I will pm the info to you .

IMG_0481.thumb.jpeg.a84283bb3941f50d00a6c4d148f417f8.jpeg

IMG_0480.thumb.jpeg.042954385c7b1764b625bda58320e082.jpegIMG_0479.thumb.jpeg.86ae6f48d2661661f9d6057945bbcf2c.jpegIMG_0478.thumb.jpeg.ad2235b93a4a17571c374f19ffc5340f.jpeg

A small battery will run all that stuff you mention, and can be charged at home when not in use, for only casual use I wouldn’t bother buying any charging kits and fitting to your motor.

• Like 1

Why not just buy yourself a decent quality battery charger and charge your battery at home?
l used to run a sounder plus an electric motor on a 3m tinny and get around 4 hours trolling, with the sounder on, out of a 15 amp (I think) battery.

• Like 1