Worst session ever, yak fishing long reef

Launched from fisherman boat ramp at 5 a.m., windy weather showed wind speed was 7 knots, but felt like 10+ at least. Paddlling for 3 hours, didn't find anything on the fish finder, not even bait fish. Currents were so strong and wave was picking up around 8, I started feeling a bit uncomfortable so headed back with empty hands. 

I thought the past 3 sessions in Botany Bay were terrible, but this one was even worse...Hope this was the worst session, next one will be better.

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

13 hours ago, Powerofwill said:

I wonder where are fish going and why... Strong currents and wind?

our trip was to Copeton dam, the fish are definitely they just happen to dislike me 

On 2/1/2024 at 12:15 AM, dirvin21 said:

if it makes you feel any better we drove towing the boat for 5 hours, fished 4 sessions for a double doughnut 

Thats rough mate...

• Like 1

You get days like that, I just got back from the beach, not one fish, a swimmer got tangled in my line, it drizzled rain and I stood on an Oyster walking back via a shortcut across the entrance, but guess what? I still had fun and a memory.

edit……and a group of longboarders having some kind of comp set their gazebo up about 1 grain of sand from my bucket! Then used my gutter to paddle out, go figure. Sometimes it’s just one of those days. The longboarders mentioned.

IMG_0297.jpeg

Edited by noelm
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, slothparade said:

When long reef gets rough and has strong currents a lot of the fish go into the debris where there are quite a few caves/ crevices. Just drop a bait right on top of them and they come out pretty quickly 

Thank you for the advice, how can I find the debris? 

1 hour ago, Powerofwill said:

Thank you for the advice, how can I find the debris? 

You can see the lumps on your sounder, but I usually just have a look over the side. Can usually see the bottom or most of the way down on a good day. Head out about 2km then a bit up north, then you will find an area full of concrete blocks. 

3 hours ago, slothparade said:

You can see the lumps on your sounder, but I usually just have a look over the side. Can usually see the bottom or most of the way down on a good day. Head out about 2km then a bit up north, then you will find an area full of concrete blocks. 

Thanks mate, will try to find the debris next time.