Bit of beach , bit of river , bit of lure and bait

G’day Raiders,

I lobbed down to Wanda beach for a play and to try some different lures from the beach . One rod was rigged ( sidecast set up ) with a cyclops rig and a whole pillie , these are usually used offshore for snapper but with me being something of a cross between mad fisho and mad scientist I had to try it !( waiting for the next salmon / tailor run to try it again ) The main reason for the trip was just to get out of the house and get my little fat legs moving , I also had a play with some plastics on my sea bass rod , this set up was rigged with a 3inch gobbler curl tail in in UV  pro stinger colour on a #4 bait holder type hook and had a 15gm  lumo sinker riding onto the hook ( sort of Texas rigged but not weedless) . I only fished for an hour and a half , lost a few pillies and got a few tentative taps on the plastic , changed to a white tail but came away with a donut. Two other guys were fishing nearby and they did get one flattie that I doubt was legal but that’s my opinion. Things got busy around sunup as the surfers started coming over the dune in a never ending stream !

Anyhow I left there and dropped into Rydalmere ferry wharf to flick some more SP lures , set up was the same as the sea bass rod above but this time a worm hook and a 5gm orange uv glow sinker . First plastic was a gobblers twin paddle in motor oil colour and after what seemed like a hundred casts , a few bumps and nudges it finally got hammered- a small , maybe legal flathead ( couldn’t measure as dopey left the brag Matt in the bucket in the car!) It was released after a photo and I continued to cast,walk,cast etc until I was fishing off the wharf . I changed to a curl tail and tried a few different colours but the only action was the occasional jumping mullet ! 
IMG_0515.thumb.jpeg.d9073831b24c631c85d56bb0bda7731e.jpeg

Edited by XD351
  • Like 14

4 hours ago, Yowie said:

At least you had a go. Plenty of surfers because of the swell from yesterday.

Usually ok with surfers, most are out the back , it’s just the ones that have to ride that little wave all the way to shore - right in front of me ! Or the swimmers that insist on swimming in the rip where I’m fishing and the surfers are paddling out - go and swim between the flags where it is safe !

Edited by XD351

4 hours ago, XD351 said:

Usually ok with surfers, most are out the back , it’s just the ones that have to ride that little wave all the way to shore - right in from of me ! Or the swimmers that insist on swimming in the rip where I’m fishing and the surfers are paddling out - go and swim between the flags where it is safe !

😂

• Like 1

This time of the year plenty of people down there - sometimes worth walking up past green hills to get away from the crowds at Wanda.
How was it walking back up the steep sand hill with all the gear….. worst part of fishing that spot.

11 hours ago, Larkin said:

This time of the year plenty of people down there - sometimes worth walking up past green hills to get away from the crowds at Wanda.
How was it walking back up the steep sand hill with all the gear….. worst part of fishing that spot.

I was nearly ready to walk to Cronulla to avoid it!

I had to stop half way up to catch my breath 🤣🤣

• Haha 1