replacement axle / hubs / wheels

karapoti

Hi all.

I'm new to having a boat and have managed to ge the 4.5m quintrexout in BB and Sydney harbour half a dozen times, and even managed to get a feed or two. I'm planning on venturing a bit further with the familiy and boat in tow. The wheels on the trailer are ye olde ones which dont have any bolts for changing and I'm told are not suitable for long trips:

image.png.82bdf2029bdc8fc16bed511ceda6d0df.png

I want to replace them and get a spare (and a spare hub).

My questions are:

• would 3 x "hub in a tub" be suitable? Or are the hub-in-a-tubs a temporary thing to get you to where you're going?
  • will most hubs fit onto the axle? I don't know what the axle is / looks like as I've not taken a wheel off yet
  • does anyone have something I could buy off them which would work for me? (hubs/wheels/etc..)

Thanks!!

Adrian

Impossible to say what the axle you have fits, far better to buy a complete axle with hubs and new wheels (plus a spare) those ones you have are kind of OK, but can be trouble if not cared for. You will need to find out what bearing will fit (most had early Holden) if you want to get spares.

Pretty much with axles. The common ones are either holden or ford stubs. Which then fits a holden or ford bearing.

then you would need a hub thats suits one or the other bearing. Are you following me?

the hub then has stud patterns. Also common ones are 5 studs in either ford, holden hq or ht which has different pcd. Still following me?

then you would need wheels to suit the stud pattern.

You would need to see what your current bearings are to see what type of hub you would need to suit your axle stub. Then you can go from there with what sort of wheels/stud pattern you plan to go with.

Im current going through a similar situation. Going from them 6inch wheels to 13inch wheels as the 13inch tyres are cheaper and more readily available if i was to get a blow out.

Ok , first you need to establish what bearings you have - either Holden or ford and the numbers on the bearings will tell you that- my bet is Holden   . So first step is to get those numbers and search online , then you can buy hubs with bearings  but there is a catch - you can have hubs with Holden bearings and ford pattern wheel studs and visa versa - this was done to give trailer manufacturers a choice depending on what wheels they could source - they used to us second hand rims to keep costs down . You will want 13 or 14 inch rims , 13s are old Holden pattern HG back  and everything else is HQ onward thru commodore, ford is different stud size  . 13 inch tyres are available but be careful  to get either light truck or there is a dedicated trailer tyre available - doesn’t have the drive tyre rating so you can’t use it on a car  - I got caught and ended up with tyres that were not rated for the weight I was carrying and had to change them , that being said 14inch are more common now and more available at all tyre shops . You are more than likely going to have to change the guards so you might need someone to do some welding. I can’t name suppliers on here but one starts with super , the other with road  or you could look on that popular bay site . 
so in summary: get hubs with bearings that fit your axle and with a stud pattern that fits your rims , watch out what tyres you buy as some are not suitable - I got mine from a tyre mob called Bob something and make sure everything is galvanised- alloy rims look nice but will cause you grief in the long run . 
If searching for bearing numbers will cause you grief I will do it for you just let me know the numbers 

• Like 1

Something like this then buying wheels and tyres to suit will get you out of trouble.

Edited by Little_Flatty
Please do not mention businesses that are not related to FR. See Site Rule #6: https://community.deckee.com/rules/

You can also get “multi fit” rims, that suit either Ford or Holden, which are probably a bit more handy in case of drama. Seeing as you are converting over from the ones pictured, probably best to stay with 13” so you don’t run into clearance issues with bigger diameter wheels.

OK do you want to do this on a budget or buy new from dealership. If you don't mind spending a quid just go to a trailer shop and buy axle, hubs with bearings and wheels and tyres to suit just keep in mind there are dozens of different lengths of axles and you would need to get the one that fits your trailer.

The cheapest way out IF you don't mind putting a bit of man power and time into it is get an old Box Trailer and use the axle hubs and wheels you will probably have to buy a spare separately as not many box trailers are sold with spares.

If you don't mind travelling to Berala I have a old box trailer here you can have for FREE but will need new tyres about $100 each and a spare.

Frank

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, frankS said:

The cheapest way out IF you don't mind putting a bit of man power and time into it is get an old Box Trailer and use the axle hubs and wheels you will probably have to buy a spare separately as not many box trailers are sold with spares.

Also note in most cases box trailer hubs may not have marine seals behind the hub.

2 hours ago, xerotao said:

Also note in most cases box trailer hubs may not have marine seals behind the hub.

That is a very good point and a new set of bearings and seals would be best no matter which way you went.

Frank

• Like 1

I carry a Hub in the tub, purely for a spare should something un toward happen, So far, in over 20 years I've not had to use it, for myself, but have used it on " those that feel maintenance is not necessary " on at least 3-4 occasions and made them pay appropriately for a replacement Hub in a tub...

Edited by BaitDropper

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all, finally got around to looking back into this 🥱

Took a wheel off and can't find where on the bearings the numbers are. From googling, they should be on one of these faces, right? I can't see anything on either side. Or should I be looking on the inside of them?

image.thumb.png.1106ed906f539aaae1810db8e7dd4f3c.png

Here's the whole lot:

image.thumb.png.66b30c56c3ea3575be4d0f69c3509459.png

any ideas?

thanks!

You can measure the inside diameter of the bearing, Ford and Holden (especially the smaller outer bearing) are very different, or better still, clean them up and take them to a boat shop, or better still a bearing place. You are going to replace the entire hub too, so probably a decent boat or trailer place might be best.

Thanks @noelm 

Next puzzle is to make sure there will be enough space in the mudguard if I change the axle from overslung to underslung. Anyone know the actual diameter of a 12'' wheel and tyre?

image.png.ef9c91cb774d3cea85e86fbaeaaa57b4.png

If you get lower profile 165X13 there should be no problem, moving the axle under will provide lots of clearance, probably too much.

measured the inner diameter of the bearings, about 31mm and 19mm (with a ruler and dodgy eyes) which is much closer to holden than ford:

Holden Trailer Wheel Bearings: Inner Bearings: Cone LM67048 Cup LM167010 (mm):  31.75 /Outer Bearings:  Cone LM11949 Cup LM11910(mm):  19.05

And can see this on one of the outers: ie LM67048 (holden) definitely not ford: LM12749

image.png.0831504835ae61b0dc98055ef5ec5e3c.png

There you go, buy complete hubs and bearings, keep in mind they will be cheap Chinese bearings, I have found they are a bit hit and miss, some seem to last, some fail miserably very early, but, you will find that’s all you can buy in complete kits. Getting decent bearings and installing them properly, with good seals will see a long life.