First catch on the setup!

The use of WD40 on a 5inch alvey will make little difference - it has a heavy spool and the spindle diameter is much larger than a steelite which creates a lot more drag.

You can use the technique as shown in this video but I would probably go to a local sports field or park to do some practice first as you don’t want your line to fly off and touch the rocks .

Edited by XD351
  • Like 2

On 3/3/2024 at 5:53 PM, XD351 said:

The use of WD40 on a 5inch alvey will make little difference - it has a heavy spool and the spindle diameter is much larger than a steelite which creates a lot more drag.

You can use the technique as shown in this video but I would probably go to a local sports field or park to do some practice first as you don’t want your line to fly off and touch the rocks .

Hi,

I use an old Alvey ball bearing centrepin for fishing for flathead with live poddies under my blackfish float. It works well. The reel is heavier but, if you use the technique of releasing the spool a little earlier when you cast, you will find the momentum of the heavier outfit leads to long accurate casts. It needs practice. I don't think  that stripping line before you cast is needed. That being said, we all need to find a technique that works for us so try all the suggestions you get and if it works then you're in business.

It's just a matter of practising thoughtfully which is what we should do with every aspect of our fishing.

I saw another technique where the fisher pulled the line out with one hand at 90 degrees to the rod then threw it out., It worked fine though I wonder about putting twist into your line.

The dark art is such a wonderful source for discussion about techniques and gear.

You gotta love chasing luds!

KB

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Koalaboi said:

if you use the technique of releasing the spool a little earlier when you cast, you will find the momentum of the heavier outfit leads to long accurate casts. It needs practice. I don't think  that stripping line before you cast is needed.

This was how I was taught for my Luds rockfishing!

It's almost like letting the float 'drop' a bit at the start of the cast and works with the heavier rockfishing float and sinkers.

I do use various line stripping casts in the harbour dependant on how long a cast is needed.

15 hours ago, Koalaboi said:

we all need to find a technique that works for us so try all the suggestions you get and if it works then you're in business.

The dark art is such a wonderful source for discussion about techniques and gear.

You gotta love chasing luds!

What he said!

• Like 2