Lake Macquarie Greenweed

G'Day Raiders

Just a quickie. My 84 year old mother is coming up for a visit to our house on Lake Macquarie. We are fortunate in that we have a jetty that runs out into deep water. Mum has always been an avid angler but her favourite fishing past time is definitely black fish. I spied a couple of luderick lurking off the jetty the other day so I thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone knew of places in Lake Macquarie where you can grab some green weed. We live at Buttaba just south of Toronto on the Lake's western foreshore but I would be willing to travel if I knew I could find some green weed. Thanks guys.

• Like 1

Many years ago I did get some from the pond near the airport ( yellow circle in first picture) you could try the lagoon in picture 2 as well - no guarantees of there being any weed in these places today ! Other than that try the ocean rocks - sometimes you can get hair weed as well as cabbage - you will have to go and look for it .

IMG_0673.thumb.jpeg.88f6bd8fd34b32a91504d403d6dbe2e5.jpeg

IMG_0674.thumb.png.a9cfd48cc30a8edb29f17c6ca2aa8a18.png

• Like 1

Hey thanks for that XD351. I will give your suggestions a shot. Not expecting miracles but if I can manage to locate some green weed my mum would be thrilled.

Regards

Guinness

• Like 1

Try around Swansea Bridge and the small breakwalls that jut out from the Salts Bay beaches. I`m not a luderick chaser but see lots of guys fishing for them from that area. Be careful on the rocks too. Speaking from painful experience.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just talking to a guy at Stockton and he said weed hard to come by at the moment. He suggested rock platform south of Merewether Beach and also rocks around  Susan Gilmore Beach. Apparently some blokes have been removing tons of weed from around the area.. Pretty selfish not to leave some for other fishermen to use. It may take some searching to find the right type but that`s the fun [ ? ] part of the hobby.