How far in Middle Harbor can I push myself to catch fish to take home?

Kiduk

Hi all,

I have been doing some research on some new flathead spots recently and am wanting to try middle harbor from the inner side out from The Spit. As you can see from the map that I have attached, I have been driving during my free time to some spots around these areas around Northbridge and have found some good spots to start from. My question is, how far in can I push myself inland to the point where I shouldnt eat what I catch in these spots? Anyone been eating fish around say Roseville the past years with no issues? Any information regarding this will be helpful, Thanks!

Screenshot 2024-04-01 094055.png

Screenshot 2024-04-01 094137.png

I’ve seen many people fishing up from the Spit Bridge and have not heard of any issues. 
DPI has issued the below advice for Sydney Harbour with warnings for fish west of the Harbour Bridge and general advice for fish east of the bridge which would cover middle harbour I guess …

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-skills/fishing-in-sydney-harbour

Are you concerned about anything specific you have heard?

Cheers Zoran 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Nothing specific that ive heard personally, however I do know from word of mouth especially visiting tackle stores and fishing friends that they are skeptical in taking home their catches from areas around the Harbor. That said, knowing that the Eastern side of the Harbor Bridge is closer to the waterway that leads past The Spit has led to be worried about these guidelines and warning people to limit what we eat.

I have been to some of the inland spots in that area you've pictured as well as around the Roseville Bridge/beyond and have seen signs posted up by Sydney Water during/after rainy days recommending people to not be in the general area and prohibiting fishing due to sewer waste runoff.  The water can also look pretty funky at times, like a dull teal color.  Spit bridge water looks really clear but it's all connected to the same water that I've observed and fish travel, so I would make the judgement call based off knowing that.  Unsure if it's safe to take the fish myself, but just my observations. 

Edited by linewetter
  • Like 1

I follow @zmk1962's link. Based on that advice, bream have become a purely catch and release affair and if I want a feed, I focus on flathead. I'd go for trevs too but flathead for me are much easier to find.

Given 95% of the fishing I do is in the Parra anyway, I don't get the opportunity to take home a feed of fish that often anyway. So what I take can't hurt too much.

• Like 1

I have been catching and eating flathead and flounder from the east side of the Spit through to Middle Head for the last 2 1/2 years with no ill effects. I find the water there is much clearer than it is "upstream". There is also a lot more sand flats down that way.

I agree that water quality after rain is problematic on the west side of the Spit - especially around Tunks